• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RENIX at the wrecker ...

A two-door, wow! ... I would grab that coolant pressure bottle if it isn't cracked around the hose nipple, and also the ECU if it is in there. Probably the B+ latch relay or starter relay (the funky one with the stud on it, iirc) as well. You never know when your ECU is gonna kick the bucket and there are only so many '90s left out there.

Is that a dana 44 rear or a dana 35? It looks like the 35 from the drum brake size, if it is, leave it there.

Also, for future reference, don't bother buying junkyard mechanical fan shrouds, they are always brittle and break easily. And you can get a new Keystone manufactured unit for almost what the junkyard will charge for a well-used one, just order CH3110104 from any Keystone dealer or online parts house. Fits 87-01 4.0L equipped.

I didn't bother with the coolant bottle, I installed a MAC's surge tank a couple of months ago.

I also picked up ECU & ABS modules a couple of months ago as well. I even posted a YouTube video of the inspection for anyone interested.
http://youtu.be/0TQGgDJlDXY

How can you tell its a Dana44? This was a non-ABS, so it could be possible. I don't think I'd want to attempt trying to remove it. These vehicles are teetering on up-turned rims.

I was just grabbing parts like this was the last one on earth. Funny, the fan shroud seemed to be OK whereas the electrical fan shroud has some cracked corners. I JB welded them today and will see how that turns out. Thanks for the Keystone #.

A dana 35 will have an oval shaped cover, while a dana 44 will have a "stop sign" (actually hexagonal, but close enough) shaped cover. Contrary to what some will say, rubber vs steel fill plug on the cover has no bearing on anything really.

This t-shirt shows pics of them so you can compare - http://www.allthingsjeep.com/atj11127.html (top right two covers)

Also, you keep saying stuff about ABS - does yours have it? 91 and earlier ABS systems are a ticking time bomb that you really don't want to experience, if the accumulator pump fails you won't know until the pedal goes to the floor and you don't stop a random number of brake applications later.

A dana 35 will have an oval shaped cover, while a dana 44 will have a "stop sign" (actually hexagonal, but close enough) shaped cover. ... Also, you keep saying stuff about ABS - does yours have it? 91 and earlier ABS systems are a ticking time bomb that you really don't want to experience, if the accumulator pump fails you won't know until the pedal goes to the floor and you don't stop a random number of brake applications later.

Yes, I do have ABS and it has been flawless for the 20 years I've had this XJ. I have read about others dissing it but did not realize it was a ticking time bomb. The condition you mention is diffidently a severe condition I would not like to experience. I realized its uniqueness and that's why I was looking to stock up on some parts. Are there any clues to the accumulator failure? Without the power assist, is there still not manual breaking available?

I'll be researching this issue now.

AFAIK there is no manual braking available when the accumulator pump fails, it just suddenly won't do anything. It's truly a terrible design, a few of them even caught fire.

The fix is really to swap in non ABS parts and completely eliminate the system. Here's a better writeup on the system's faults and the swap procedure than I could hope to write without doing it myself: http://www.naxja.org/html/techarticles/uninstall_OEM_ABS.htm

AFAIK there is no manual braking available when the accumulator pump fails, it just suddenly won't do anything. It's truly a terrible design, a few of them even caught fire.

The fix is really to swap in non ABS parts and completely eliminate the system. Here's a better writeup on the system's faults and the swap procedure than I could hope to write without doing it myself: http://www.naxja.org/html/techarticles/uninstall_OEM_ABS.htm

If you do decide to swap it all out, I would strongly recommend installing a WJ master cylinder and booster instead of a stock-application one - you'll pay the same at the wrecker's and they are a significant upgrade over the older single-diaphragm booster setup, it significantly improved my braking on my '91 MJ when I went from stock single diaphragm non-ABS to a WJ booster/master. There's a writeup around here somewhere for that, too. You can also use a 95 or 96 booster+master if you transplant the pedal assembly from the same year, use your brake light switch (not sure how that mounts to the newer pedal box assembly... maybe a '90 would be better, I'm not all that sure) and the 1/4" thick aluminum spacer between the booster and the firewall from the '95 or '96 donor.

Last edited:
Thanks for the warning. I did some follow up research and find the Bendix system is the worst ever. Great. And mine must be the only one that still works. For now. Looks like the only sensible solution is the swap. I believe this is beyond my technical ability but I'll start looking in to it.

Back