• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removable doors?

When I was cutting the lower portion of the hinge off on drivers side, I noticed that both pins were broken about halfway up. Fatwreck had suggested cutting teh original pins down anyway so it really wasn't a big deal. I am done with this mod on drivers side. I think I'm doing something wrong b/c the door comes off super easy, but its hell getting it back on. Don't know why. I kinda gave up on it but will try again as the weather turns nice here.
I am worried that when I go to do the passenger side, the pins will be broken. IF they are, I would think it will suck trying to hammer them out and flip them to go in from the top. I guess the solution then, as has been stated in this thread, is to tack a bolt in place of the pin? How hard is it to hammer that passenger side pin out? If I use PB and take a beer break, will it be easier to persuade? TIA.

Does anyone know of running without doors or with tube doors is legal in Texas? That's the only thing holding me back since cops seem to be very anal about the smallest things here.

Timmay said:
Hey Stevo, check these out. This is what i'm looking to do if I can find a set of 97+ doors.

47b5da29b3127cce915a7eb7161400000036139AYuXLdy2ao
What is being used to open these doors?

I set mine up much like that. I have a handle from a grimlin. Amc used these on several doors. Jeep still used them on TJ tail gates, and I've seen YJ's with them on factory steel doors.

halfdoor2.JPG

Soon, I'll finish the write-up to how I did mine.

If you want more info, let me know.

Daryl

The only rule in virginia is that you have to have mirrors. Has anyone come up with a mount for mirrors that might utilize the hinge holes after the door is removed?
Also what kind of disconects are being used out there? I have power everything and need someway to disconnect the wires from the quater panel.

Hope to have mine removed this week!

I just finished my mirrors today. Its just a piece of angle with 1/2" square tubing welded on. It was a cheap build but I already had the angle. The tube was about $8 at Lowes and the mirrors were about $12 at Advance. I am going to weld on some gussets on top and the trailing side of the mirror arm. They vibrate something fierce going down the road.

hpim05706on.jpg

hpim05718mc.jpg

hpim05725yt.jpg

Last edited:
This must be a stupid question because i have no idea why you all would come up with these other ways of doing it if this worked, but why cant you just remove the pin in the hinges and be done with it? no cutting of the hinges or anything. Is there something that will not allow the pin to come out? If so why not just make or buy another pin that can silde out when you want to remove the doors? By the way, those chopped doors look awesome.

Good mirror idea! Might have to make some up myself.

Now if I can figure out a disco for the electric, might have to go shopping tomorrow!

the pin is not bolted or anything its a roll pin and there is no way to get a hammer in there to hammer it out. Just for an idea I removed the pins in mine completely and used 1/4" pull pins work great so far except for the passanger side where the rocker hit the pin while I was going up the waterfall.

Daryl, when can we expect a writeup? I'm looking into doing this as soon as I find a set of 97+ doors. Actually, does anyone have a pic of some pre 96 doors on a 97+ xj? I would think that the body lines would be close, and if they are close enough I think it would be much cheaper to grab some pre 96 doors from the junkyard.

I just modified my door hinges today and made some tube doors.

I tried like hell to get the pin out without cutting the hinge but it wasnt happening with the hinge on the jeep.
I really tried for a good 10 mins with an air hammer, all I did was destroy the bottom of the pin and the hinge.

its cool with no doors

I pulled my doors 3 years ago, after running doorless for awhile I made a set of tube doors, oh what a feeling. For hinges I made my own, don't unbolt your doors or try using stock hinges, knock out the pins and use ball-lock pins or grade 8 bolts with a very long shoulder. I used a stock latch assy., which is hidden and can still be locked... Funny story, I left the keys in the XJ at the Off-Road Expo 1 1/2 years back and it was stolen/borrowed, the Jeep was recovered 3 days later 130 miles away, with the keyes in the ignition and NOTHING missing, tools, high lift, EVERYTHING was still there. The tube doors were there too, still locked, the thieves could'nt figure out how to unlock them.
Anyway, I just went outside and snapped a few pix, I'll get them posted to show the details, they'll be developed tomorrow. I still put on the stock doors every fall and winter, though it's much more fun with the tube doors.
All in all it may have cost me $60.00 to build my doors.

Last edited:
Apologies for dredging up the past...
forgiven, with the ball-lock pins, do you suffer any sag in the doors? What size pins did you get, and where were you able to find the size you needed? I am toying with the idea to do very similar to what you have done, will prolly keep the stock hinges on the doors, and make new halfs for tube doors. I wish that I had the knowledge/time/equipment to fab my own up, sadly I am thinking of going with the carolina offroad doors for my 2door.
OH, and did you ever post up the pics of your setup?
Thanks.

jmeloxj said:
sorry i am slow but y cant i jus mod a tj's hinges to fit my xj?
because they go on the outside of the vehicle and good luck mounting them your your doors and fender

i wish i never made my doors removable, the hinges/ pins like to bend when all your buddies jump in and use the door to hop inside. i have had to bet them back and re weld them twice now.

rehab said:
i wish i never made my doors removable, the hinges/ pins like to bend when all your buddies jump in and use the door to hop inside. i have had to bet them back and re weld them twice now.

Now, you did the half hinge mod, correct? So using the ball-lock pins, and not cutting the lower hinge will prolly keep that from happening, afterall the hinge would still be stock for all intents.

Back