• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Relocating rear shock axle mounts (Questions)

Yes and no. When the axle travels vertically (like hitting a bump on the road) it doesn't matter where the shock is located.

For leaning (body roll) or articulation the shock is "less effective" only because of the extra leverage placed upon it, but not really any less than stock (or not a noticeable amount)

You loose a decent amount with the shocks being angle, just as you do by in boarding them.

The benefits (for me) out way the losses. Running the shock in boarded allows me to use a much shorter shock, and still have all the wheel travel that I could ever need. The 8" shocks I have now are 15" collapsed and 23" extended.

To run a shock further out, that gave enough wheel travel I would have had to put them though the floor.

Also, the shocks look more in boarded than that are. a 14 bolts center section is huge, the upper shock mounts are in the stock location and the shocks are about 5 degrees to the outside on the axle.
And as far as the grease, you can't imagine how much noise leaf springs make with a spool in the rear.

I was going to say the location is only a few inches over from the stock location.

I have to figure out the BPE part of the equation, how bad is it to use the sway bar end link as the BPE? is there really that much movement that would be detrimental to the bushing at the top. I am only leaning this way because I have them and I can install them tomorrow rather then wait a week. Thoughts and opinions?

I was going to say the location is only a few inches over from the stock location.

I have to figure out the BPE part of the equation, how bad is it to use the sway bar end link as the BPE? is there really that much movement that would be detrimental to the bushing at the top. I am only leaning this way because I have them and I can install them tomorrow rather then wait a week. Thoughts and opinions?

I don't follow using the sway bar end link for a BPE. I am just running the stock bar pins, eliminating them does nothing but make it easier to change the shock.

Ah, I see now. You mean using the end link mount, not the end link itself.

If you have it, go for it, seems legit.

Back