• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

relocating rear leafs?

chadc

NAXJA Forum User
I have spent alot of time on the front suspension and finally got it to work the way I want. Now it is time for the rear Iam thinking about moving the leafs inboard so the will be under the so called frame and using longer leafs. I was wondering if anyone has done it or thinks it will or won't work, or any other thoughts.
will we ever be done?
Chadc:chef:

I have done just that to mine... I used a larger peice of angle under the frame and then made the other side of the main hanger by using a plate that ties into the OEM bolt location in the frame...

I also built a buggy leaf setup for the back so the shackle is a CJ model that just sits on a reinforced section of the frame rail...

It works very well but the clearences with the gas tank are very, very tight - to the point I cut the inner half of the spring clamps off where they used ot contact the gas tank (I was using a pivoting spring perch for a while)

rear12.jpg

I was thinking of doing the same to mine when i decided to make a trail only rig because in theory you should get the same amount of flex from the springs which equates into more wheel travel flex.

Did you find this to be true Matt?

Hey Matt if you did it again would you do it the same way. I want to do it to add longer leafs and would gain height without needing big leafs, and moving them inboard will give it more flex because of the leverage. How close to the gas tank, is it "scary close"? or just "my thats close".
Thanks man, chadc

Back