• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reliability of Renix Computers?

ltkaknm

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

I recently got a Renix computer from a 90 4.0L Manual cherokee for $50. I was getting it to fix a problem that I had that was fixed with Champion plugs.

Given that the vehicle is going on 17 years old would it be worth it to keep the computer or take it back?

Thanks,

LTK

I've seen two. One was submerged for 2 weeks and the other had a short on the fuel injector lead and it burned out the drive transistor for that injector (I fixed it).

I have had my XJ since new (1988) my ECU went out last year, It went dead and it was easy to trouble shoot that it was the problem. I am close to 400,000 miles. (with the shear amount of just power on and off has to take some type of a toll ) Have gone through 1 peuogot tranny and on the 2nd ax15 still the same motor though, will be pulling it shortly to build it into a Renix stroker.

I have heard of three total - all blown injector drivers (one is on my desk, one more is on the way here. I plan to use them to simulate the system for some RE work.)

If you don't need the thing, perhaps I can talk to you? Maybe we can work something out. I'm a bit short of cash most times, but I could see about a swap, or sort out some cash if I get some in...

5-90

i thought it was the injector drivers too on the cpu, was wrong..ended up getting 3 cpus just to make sure wasnt gettin bad cpus..someone ill never listen to again said it had to be the cpu.

Get a noid light for GM injectors. Next time you think (or someone tells you) that the injector drivers are cooked, check them with the noid light - they either work or they don't.

A noid light should be about $5 or so, and WAY MUCH cheaper than a new ECU.

The first blown injector driver that I'd heard of was coming out of South Africa (which I got about two years ago...) The second is from the East Coast somewhere. I got them to try to find out if there was a replacement for the injector drivers, or to get specs on them so I could fake up a replacement for experimental purposes (a small switching transistor in order to trigger a pilot light on the bench, f'r instance...)

Keep me in mind if you want to get rid of those RENIX ECU's...

5-90

Back