• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

reinforcement of tire carrier?

There is that - it does limit approach angles.

Goes to the concept and whether there are more advantages for the user with or without. If someone is needing to load the back full offroading, getting the spare out and having one full size is OK. For the average user off road on weekends not overnighting, not so much. And they have to move it first, then open the hatch when grocery shopping, etc.

And, they are a lot of work to mount - that factory carrier has to be installed on the quarter panel, too. The bumper is no better, either - unlike the rockcrawler versions that have a 2" reciever with class 4 rating and options like an air tank, etc.

Pricey as they may be, the aftermarket seems to have it covered a lot better. I can't say the factory version is all that attractive.

she's mostly been performing DD duties of late with the occasional trip out on the beach for some recreation. The real reason for the carrier is so I can fit into the parking garage at the airport next week-- I know, not much of a reason, but I've always like the look of an XJ with a tire on the back and now I've got the ability.

I'm still considering the Tailbone system, but for the time being, she'll sport the factory one, I guess. The 1/4 panel holes and bracket will make a well reinforced CB antenna mount if I move up to the Tailbone set up in the future!

Back