• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Regearing Q

Make sure there isn't excessive backlash and that the pinion and carrier bearings are ok too, and check if the gears have any funky wear on them. Since you are buying it to avoid setting up gears or paying for gear setup, any of those will make buying the axle a waste of money to some degree.

If I were you I would pick up that dana 30 with 4:10's. That's not that bad of a price for it geared. Then instead of paying that much for the 8.25 I would get an 8.8 out of an explorer (4:10, disc brakes and LSD are not hard to find). Weld some leaf spring mounts on it and never look back. You will get more bang for your buck. $500 just seams very expensive to me for that rear axle. I got mine from a club member for $100 and then got an 8.8 to swap in instead (I HATE drum brakes).

This is EXACTLY what I am going to do. both axles can be had for about 200 each and then all you have to do is get the leaf mounts moved up top.

is the narrower wheel base on the 8.8 a problem? i understand that most run spacers to acommodate for this, but is it impossible or simply illadvised to run one without spacing.

and i like the axel shafts that superior has put out to accomodate for this.

You could probably run stock size tires or pizzacutters without spacing. My 32x11.5s were less than a quarter of an inch from hitting my leafs on a stock axle and stock rims though, so when I bought the new rims for my new tires I planned ahead and got ones with 4" of backspacing (8" wide rims, so 0 offset.) The 8.8 should clear the springs pretty well that way.

Some people run a single 1.5" spacer on one side and center the pumpkin (since it's slightly off center on the 8.8) but that seems kinda ghetto to me. Others run spacers, and others run wheels with less backspacing... I just chose the latter as it seemed like the cleanest solution to me.

is the narrower wheel base on the 8.8 a problem? i understand that most run spacers to acommodate for this, but is it impossible or simply illadvised to run one without spacing.

and i like the axel shafts that superior has put out to accomodate for this.
I'm running the 8.8 in the rear with 35's on 15x8 rims & 4" BS without spacers. I've never had any problems yet, there's more than enough room between the leaf springs and the tires. I wouldn't have done it if I would have needed spacers, I don't trust them.

You could probably run stock size tires or pizzacutters without spacing. My 32x11.5s were less than a quarter of an inch from hitting my leafs on a stock axle and stock rims though, so when I bought the new rims for my new tires I planned ahead and got ones with 4" of backspacing (8" wide rims, so 0 offset.) The 8.8 should clear the springs pretty well that way.

Some people run a single 1.5" spacer on one side and center the pumpkin (since it's slightly off center on the 8.8) but that seems kinda ghetto to me. Others run spacers, and others run wheels with less backspacing... I just chose the latter as it seemed like the cleanest solution to me.
cool, cool. good to hear.

id rather center the axel i think. even with the diff being offset, the rear drive shaft on our XJs is so long that this prevents the vibes that most guys with wranglers get. and seeing that superior makes shafts that extend the width... i think i need to find a 8.8.

my rims are 15x8 with 4" backspacing as well.

I'm running the 8.8 in the rear with 35's on 15x8 rims & 4" BS without spacers. I've never had any problems yet, there's more than enough room between the leaf springs and the tires. I wouldn't have done it if I would have needed spacers, I don't trust them.
good to hear! i like it.

how on earth does everyone find yards charging 500+ for axles i payed 110 for my 8.8 from a pick a part 3 weeks ago
the places ive been looking at are yards that wont let you pull anything. and offer a 30 day "warranty". hell i even asked if i could open up the diff and check the ring and pinion. they told me no because that would void the warranty. :huh: i told them i didnt want a warranty, i wanted to know the parts were good. they still said no.

another Q: is my little lincoln electric sufficient enough to weld on new perches and shock mounts? im pretty handy with a welder, but dont have anything industrial grade. what kind of penetration do i need to weld solid mounts on he tubes? and do i need to pull the internals to install new perches?

Don't think you need to pull the internals to install new perches, but you want to weld the pumpkin to the tubes on an 8.8 or they WILL spin (Ford decided it would be smart to use hammer-in plugs to hold the tubes in, instead of plug welds :doh:) - you should look into how to weld that stuff, involves preheat + special rod and whatnot. I've decided I am not good enough to handle that part, so I'm planning on just tacking the perches into the right spots and then removing the axle and bringing it to a friend for welding, with beer in hand.

F it...

i even found a XJ44 in my area. but the more i look at it. if im going to be buying parts over the next couple years that im back in college and working while im back at home... i think i want to go 44/9".

now the question is... would you suggest full width or narrowed? i have plans to go with JCRs 1-ton steering and while its not out of the question full hydro isnt in the plans. ideally im looking at 33s but if i feel the need to fill my fender wells 35s will be the very biggest.

thoughts...

Last edited:
This is the wrong place to ask this question. NAXJA assumes everybody can weld, install an axle, set up gears, etc--- or has a friend who will do all that for a case of beer.

Do whatever is cheapest and easiest, because difficult tasks tend to become more expensive than you imagined.

=especially considering id rather put parts into the jeep that ive had new since 97, and know what kind of abuse its been through rather than throwing somehing else under the jeep.

I think thats the key. You might be in for a surprise with the junkyard axles.You never know. :)

Back