• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Red Top vs Yellow Top

Which Optima?

• Yellow Top

Votes: 59 56.2%
  • Red Top

Votes: 31 29.5%
  • Other

Votes: 15 14.3%

• Total voters
The yellowtop is fine after three years in my XJ and 1 1/2 years in my astrovan. The yellowtop is a deep discharge battery, which means it bounces back from total or near total discharges to its original or near original perforamance

If you believe this I have some ocean front property in Yuma , AZ for you..

I now have THREE red top optimas, the first is now 4years old, its in my TJ and it has a winch. ZERO problems EVER. It is an EXCELLENT product

the last one I have was purchased about a month ago. Its in my MJ and the other day I left the lights on....including 85Watt PIAA fog lights. Sometime mid afternoon one of our guards found me and told me he shut off my lights I had left them on.
I got out there FULLY expecting to have a dead batt......bugger started up!!! It was slower, but the engine started!!!!

I am COMPLETELY sold on the optima batteries!!!

CW

Just my $.02, Iv had my optima yellow top in my DD for alittle over a year now and gotta say i love it. I think what really convinced me was when my friends old ford tractor was dead... like dead dead. I drove the jeep out into the field, hooked up the cables, and let it charge off my optima for about a minute, just to get alittle juice in the tractors batt. Just to give you an idea we arnt talking about a new or small engine on this thing.. its alteast 50 years old and has a three cyl. diesel that sounds like a tank. The optima fired the tractor up.. after much cranking that im shure through a huge draw on my yellow optima. As i said my xj is a daily driver and i can say only great things about my experiences with this battery vs. any other deep cell lead acid battery i have ever had under my hood. Id advise it to any jeeper that expects alittle more out of there batt.

Emailed Optima and got this responce
The correct battery for your application is a Yellow Top Deep Cycle Battery
D34/78 part# 8014-045, which is a dual-purpose battery with cranking
capability for starting and capacity for the accessories.
Not sure what I will do yet, because a lot of people are going with the red top.

Is Optima producing two different Red Tops?

Saw an ad listing a NEW Red for $109 (P/N 8022-091) and a Classic Red for $119 (P/N 8004-003).

The NEW Red was for up to 1250CCA. The Classic was listed as "lighter design"

My 90 Suburban with a 454cuin has ahd a red top for 4 years with no problems, the 00XJ has had a red top for three with no problems

zjmikey said:
The yellowtop is fine after three years in my XJ and 1 1/2 years in my astrovan. The yellowtop is a deep discharge battery, which means it bounces back from total or near total discharges to its original or near original perforamance

If you believe this I have some ocean front property in Yuma , AZ for you..

hmmm lake front in yuma ya say you got my attention, :moon:

I didnt say from experience that it performed as such just thats its supposed to. I havent really drained them enough to know or definately havent tested them in a scientific way at all. It was only a few bucks more than red top so no biggie if its more marketing than truth. I am open to hearing how you know its BS though, please explain in better detail.

Read, all of these posts..

I have a buddy that builds ambulances for a living and the Odyssey is the only "approved" battery they will use as they are the only ones that will stand up to the severe abuse that ambulances put them through.

here are a couple of posts with some experiences on Optimas, lately
Optima has alot more marketing so people know that battery more, but they odyssey batteries are a much better battery, the do not outgas, they are military approved and used on light trucks in the military and used for ambulances alot beause of their durability

http://www.jeepbbs.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8830&highlight=odyssey

Planned on going a Costco Optima Red top. Wanted Blue, but was told it was made for going to a complete discharge and back again. Not good for my daily driving.

I have a daily driver with two aftermarket amplifiers, Winch to be added soon. Will have fours sets of driving/fog/auxilary lights.

What do you guys think here?

Where can we get Odyssey without selling a leg?

Jason

My $ .02.....
I've had my yellow top for 3 years in my DD/trail rig.I've got a multi-amp audio system,Piaa fogs,KCs,winch etc. and it has had ZERO problems.Winching while running the audio system doesn't even phase it- volt meter stays right in the middle of the range.My old red top which is in another XJ now is going on 6 years old and still working fine.

Blue DC is the best one out there. It will start for years and will cycle just as long. Don't bother with an Oddessy, the posts will beak the second time you attach them

Back