• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Recommen A Torque Wrench

UnlimitedMatt

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
My old Proto torque wrench pooped the bed so I'm in the market for a new one. I may need to buy 2 because I need to go as low as 18 ft lbs for my beadlocks and as high as 180 ft lbs for the occasional yoke.

I would rather have them made in America. :patriot:

What do you suggest?

I use both Proto and Sears. My inch pound is a Proto and the foot pound is the Sears.
I have been carrying the Sears around with me since 1973. On the plus side, Sears will do the calibration on the wrench for a reasonable charge.

My personal favorite for the price is CDI for build quality and accuracy. However I believe they are only assembled in USA. From what I can tell, Brownline and Gearwrench are both made in USA, but the Gearwrench quality isn't as good as CDI.

Stay as far away from Craftsman as possible. They are all made in China any more and the quality has totally gone.

I'm a Snap-On snob with my torque wrenches. The one that I've had for years that hasn't gone out calibration is the 3/8" QJR-3200B. I think I actually just sold the same one on here a few months ago. You can find them on ebay.

My buddy has a Snap-On digital in his shop and I feel like real man whenever I use it (which I always try to find an excuse for...)

Not sure when that changed, but my Craftsman is 5 months old and US made.

Ok, fine. They may still be made in the USA but I think they're crap. I picked up one of their $85-ish ones a while ago. The handle is all plastic and a little over a year after I bought it the handle just fell apart around the little 3/16" nut that sets the torque. I took it in and they said the warranty was only for a year and refused to support it. Never again.

I broke my last craftsman, little plastic parts snapped... I agree, crap. My super cheapy HF replacements, however, are all metal, and have been hanging in there for several years.

One of the auto mags did a test on torque wrenches and the HF one did as well or better than most in regards to accuracy over time.

I have read something similar Fred, at least pertaining to accuracy.

We have to verify our torque wrenches at work, at least once a week. The Grainger made-in-China wrenches have met standard. We did break one on the test bench, I'll ask if Grainger replaced it.

We did break one on the test bench, I'll ask if Grainger replaced it.
Grainger told us to pound sand.

One of my peers told me the Grainger torque wrench cost about the same as a Snap-On. Too bad Snap-On no longer services the rail industry...

Dave with HYTorq wind I think it is he repairs ours at the shop and certs them for us all the time and for only a fraction of the cost of a new one. I can get you his number Monday when I'm at work.

Thanks for bringing this back.

The wrench that broke on the test stand was a CDI, by Snap-On, made in America. The guy who broke it said the ratchet mechanism failed. The powers that be ordered a new wrench and moved on to the next problem.

It is a nice wrench.

Back