• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rebuilding cage and thinking of losing the glass

VegasAnthony

NAXJA Forum User
I have recently chopped the jeep and am going to redo the cage and was wondering how many folks removed the windshield and if has been an issue ..

should I or shouldnt I hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Lately after wheeling during the winter, driving a bunch of buggies, and having my own chopped XJ, I've come to a conclusion.

Even when I build a full-out buggy, I will *always* have a roof and a windshield of some sort. It took just one time of getting caught in the rain, or going fast on a dusty day, or sitting out in the sun all day long, and that decision became really easy.

I'm very happy with the level of chop & cage on my XJ right now:

DSC02925.jpg

I had it out over the weekend and just about every inch of the exo bars got scratched up, but the windshield and A-pillars stayed fine, and the rear quarters didn't get beat up much at all.

I agree with the "elements" argument, plus the windshield actually gives a vehichle most of it's roll-over strength. I know you have a cage for that now,..but.

vetteboy said:
Lately after wheeling during the winter, driving a bunch of buggies, and having my own chopped XJ, I've come to a conclusion.

Even when I build a full-out buggy, I will *always* have a roof and a windshield of some sort. It took just one time of getting caught in the rain, or going fast on a dusty day, or sitting out in the sun all day long, and that decision became really easy.

I'm very happy with the level of chop & cage on my XJ right now:

DSC02925.jpg

I had it out over the weekend and just about every inch of the exo bars got scratched up, but the windshield and A-pillars stayed fine, and the rear quarters didn't get beat up much at all.

exactly my thoughts ..on the roof I will skin it so I have some cover but the glass is not what im sure of...its not the just on high speed dust but the rocks that get thrown up is more of a pain

Another option if you're building a full trail rig is ditch the glass and use plexiglass in place. If you're really intent on going with no glass then you could make the panels removable.

dave92cherokee said:
Another option if you're building a full trail rig is ditch the glass and use plexiglass in place. If you're really intent on going with no glass then you could make the panels removable.

I know a guy who did that, kinda sucks cuz he doesnt have wipers so he has a squegee like at the gas station that he reaches and wipes the windshield with when it gets to wet/muddy.

-Alex

dave92cherokee said:

from what I understand plexi scratches up quite easy and then it a bear to see through

You don't really want to use plexi...UV-resistant polycarbonate is your best bet, and even then it's still not all that great for scratch resistance.

My windshield's destroyed on the passenger side from a rollover before the exo went on. I built the exo to allow a stock windshield to be removed/installed again. I figure I'll try one more glass one since I can get them pretty cheaply and do it myself, and see how the exo does with protecting it. If it still gets killed easily I'll look into something a little less maintenance-intensive.

Back