• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rearended by illegals

ScorpionBoy

NAXJA Forum User
well ladies and gentlemen, as the title says i got tagged. :flamemad:

I know i don't post much in here and i am too distraught to search at the moment. my 99 xj has pretty much been flawless and babied. so, of course, it got rearended by two illegal mexicans today. apparently they provided a insurance card to the cops, time will tell if it is legit. so, maybe flame away at me cause i didn't search but i just gotta know.

dudes cought the hitch (bot on type) with their taurus and folded it downwards bending the unibody in two places. i don't know much about unibody bending cause you aren't supposed to bend em, right? so, is it trashed? unibody had two obvious kinks, hitch is bent down a good 3 inches. i don't even want to talk about the tailgate.

nice first post...

a bent unibody can be repaired to good as new by a good body shop

imma honky said:
If it doesn't get totalled, kick the adjusters butt.
for a bent unibody? it shouldnt be totaled just because of that, being an older vehicle the cost of repairing it could, but not just because it is bent.

Ramsey said:
for a bent unibody? it shouldnt be totaled just because of that, being an older vehicle the cost of repairing it could, but not just because it is bent.
Well, I know there aren't any shops around my area that would touch a bent unibody..... I asked around about a year ago.

i love you guys!
not in a prison way though. :rolleyes:

was that seriously my first post here? i gotta chat you all up some more.
thanks for the good news. now, i will find wait and see if they really have insurance or i get to pay for it.

btw, what size tires can i fit on a stock xj?

just kiddin!:gee:

wait, i just reread and realized i was totally focused on the first response. scairt again.

Check your local vo-tech that has an auto body program, the one here has an excellent body and frame shop that just loves to get nice and newer projects to work on...cheap too...

imma honky said:
Well, I know there aren't any shops around my area that would touch a bent unibody..... I asked around about a year ago.
I worked at honda/mercedes/jag/land rover body shop for 2 years(pushing paper) and we were constantly working on em and telling the owners the truth about bent unibodies and frames.

RichP said:
Check your local vo-tech that has an auto body program, the one here has an excellent body and frame shop that just loves to get nice and newer projects to work on...cheap too...

damn, that is the scariest avatar i have seen in my life!!!

cripes! no way, that one is gonna give me worse nightmares than the truck gettin hit. and i just finished watching rosemarys baby!

sucks to hear about your XJ...i know i was pissed as hell when mine got wrecked (thankfully nothing important other than the wheel hub was bent, and alot of body repair...frame/unibody was fine)...but i baby the heck out of mine more than most do (even though i still go through my fair share of mud). I'd surprised if they didn't total it, but if they did and you can find a place that will bend it back to shape, you could probably buy it back from the insurance company for really realyl cheap.

If all else fails, i'd be whoopin ass on the people who destroyed your jeep (especially for havin BS insurance!).

not sure they have bs insurance...yet. but suspect so. i am/was still using this as my dd and had some nice plans for wheeling the crap out of it later in life. it has two definite kinks where the hitch bolts to the body, one on each end of the hitch mount. sooo, i will let y'all know what happens.

I got rearended in an ice storm by 3 illegal mexicans. No licenses, no green cards, no insurance, nothing. Lucky for me there was no damage to me...(they squared my hitch and ball mount put a softball size hole right through the radiator, fan, and cracked the block of their 98 sebring. they were all 3 arrested and the sebring went to the impound.

never drive around with the hitch and ball in place for this reason. it will transfer all the enrgy into the unibody and do more damage than if if bumper took more of the impact.

reminds, me, I have to take the hitch from marni's ZJ.

SeanP

SeanP said:
never drive around with the hitch and ball in place for this reason. it will transfer all the enrgy into the unibody and do more damage than if if bumper took more of the impact.
reminds, me, I have to take the hitch from marni's ZJ.
SeanP

One of the reasons I put a Tomken rear bumper w/receiver on my 98. Been hit twice, once with the ball in while in a parking space at walmart, did a number on the girls radiator, once without it and still did major damage when that one went under.

I know this is about repairing the uni-body but how do you know they are illegal? Just becasue they are Mexican. If they had produced no papers at the scene that would be a starter. My insurance requires me to carry an "uninsured" policy for just this reason.

Any pics?? Give me a vin and some pics and ill write a quick estimate for you! If you go to a real body shop the deff. repair unibodys. Id say 60% of vehicles we work on require a pull on the frame machine.

Mine was rearended, same thing happened, hitch bent down and bent the "frame". It was able to be fixed up just fine, no reason to total it for that.

Rev

i like what i am hearing. i haven't even started modding this truck yet...dammit.

i know the guys were illegal because the officers told me. He said 'this is the illegal who hit you' (i groaned involuntarily) and then he said 'this is the registration of the car belonging to the other illegal' and i was really bummin then.

i will try and get some pics on here tonight after work. the guys over at FSB will be wanting to see also. they love carnage over there.

Back