• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear wiper switch 2000

slapshot

NAXJA Forum User
hey all

recently, my rear wiper switch has gone squirrely. the second position for the wiper plus spray works fine, but the first position, just wiper only, no spray, does not work. stranger yet, when i close the liftgate firmly, the rear wiper does one pass, regardless of the switch position.
any ideas? ps this is a 2000

thx

Both the front and rear squirt pumps are on the washer fluid tank inside the drivers fender. Do you hear the pump run ?

Find and fix the short circuit or damaged wiper motor wire in or near the tailgate.

You have to check for current at the wiper motor. You have a park wire, which should be brown/pink and the run wire should be brown/light green. When the switch is off, the park wire should have power and with the switch on, the run wire should have power. Check the black wire for continuity to ground. If the wires all check OK, the motor is bad.

the pump works, the wiper motor works, i'm thinking a short on the first pole of the switch? i can make the wiper work, but only on the fluid setting. the first click, the one where it is supposed to wipe only, no fluid, does not function properly.

More than likely the switch is bad. They can break pretty easily if you push too hard turning it on or off etc. Dealer should have them in stock for like $25.

the pump works, the wiper motor works, i'm thinking a short on the first pole of the switch? i can make the wiper work, but only on the fluid setting. the first click, the one where it is supposed to wipe only, no fluid, does not function properly.

Your logic certainly makes sense, but I figured I'd take a look at the wiring diagram. Believe it or not, there is a separate wire (brown/light green) that goes from the switch to the motor for wiper run only. This wire is different than the one for wash and run (black/white). So either test the switch, or test for voltage at the brown/light green at the motor.

Back