• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear wiper question

asatxj

NAXJA Forum User
My rear wiper works but.... makes a weird noise when it's cold. is there some sort of tension adjustment on the motor itself? When I replaced it I noticed a screw on the gear end of it that looked like a set screw of some kind. Any ideas
TIA

There is no tension adjustment that I noticed. I had to 'rebuild' my rear wiper assembly a few months ago. Kept overheating and tripping the thermal fuse inside the motor.

When I took it apart, there was gunk(grease, rust, crud) that was causing considerable load on the motor/gear assembly. It looks as if water can travel down the shaft causing corrosion.

I had no choice but to rebuild, but you may be able to shoot some lube or penetrant down the shaft to ease things up.

Edit: Ok... now I sorta recall the set-screw, but I forget its function. I seem to think that is used to retain the shaft -- which could affect tension/friction.

Last edited:
Ditto on the rust, dried/poluted grease and crude. Sprayed mine out with brake cleaner, repacked it with lithium grease. Been doing well so far. My parking switch, under the large gear was frozen, made kind of a clicking noise. I jumped the park switch and now have to park the blade low. with the on/off switch. I pulled the gears out of a previous motor and remember it being a pain, so I skipped that this time around. Marking the gears before removal, can save some headaches, if you decide to go that route.

I'll try the clean out method and see what it does. thaks all.

Back