• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear shocks through floor?

Good to see the pics worked out... much much more clear now. I really like that design.

... so many ways to do it...

20raeyf.jpg

20rafpy.jpg

For the lower shock mount, if you still have your old rear sway bar brackets, the mounts that attaches the sway bar link to the spring plate, it works perfectly.

-Dan

jwtrapper said:
With the mount that you put in did you notice any difference in the unibody? Is the back more ridged now, or is it enough to make a difference?

There is a difference, but i have yet to really take it out. I just drove it about 20 miles in the city and it definitly feels solid... and that was without the angled tubing that the res is attached to.

next will be some tubes and plates running down from this to the front and rear leaf spring mounts on each side, a spair tire mount, and a set of these shocks for the front. Bilsteins are really great... so far.

i used the 275/78 not too rough around town...quite nice indeed

I'll be taking it out this weekend to see how it likes the NM desert.

NRT_Chris said:
FatCity: you showin off??? :) just playin.

Just a little...:) The pic's help with ideas, that grow into better fab jobs in the end.

NRT_Chris said:
We got to get some of these guys to come out to a race and pit

Exactly!!

You guy's have no idea how many people it takes to put together a good main pit and mid/B,C pit, or how hard it is to get that many people all out to a race to help on any certain weekend, wether it be with pre-run or on race day.

I've been deep into rockcrawling for along time and I know alot of you would truley enjoy the comradery that jeepspeed racing offers and pick up alot of ideas from the desert side of things at the same time.

Any help is allways appriciated

Eric Filar
FatCity Off-Road Racing

Last edited:
FatCity said:
Just a little...:) The pic's help with ideas, that grow into better fab jobs in the end.

Exactly!!

You guy's have no idea how many people it takes to put together a good main pit and mid/B,C pit, or how hard it is to get that many people all out to a race to help on any certain weekend, wether it be with pre-run or on race day.

I've been deep into rockcrawling for along time and I know alot of you would truley enjoy the comradery that jeepspeed racing offers and pick up alot of ideas from the desert side of things at the same time.

Any help is allways appriciated

Eric Filar
FatCity Off-Road Racing

Bring your toy out to Laughlin for the USRC rally race in November and I'll be glad to Pit for ya... Thats what I do...

Scott.

so i think i am going to be building a rear shock hoop to fit my 14'' 5150's and i was wondering what the advantages/disadvantages are of mounting the shocks straight up and down?

is mounting the shocks straight up and down any advantage for rock crawling/off camber stuff?
it seems like all the jeep speed guys do it.

this thread has some good info in it too -
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=979147&highlight=shocks

As for mounting the shocks vertically - it allows the shock travel to wheel travel to be closer to 1:1 - easier to tune and more predictable through the travel of the shock... also - staying under the floor severely limits the length of the shock...

Advantages:
The handling is better at least on mine it was.
Longer shocks for more travel.
Looks uber cool.
You can use it to mount more than your shocks, such as a jack or spare tire.
Disadvantages:
Takes up a lot of room in the back
Holes in the floor

I know this thread is old, but this grave digging is a result of my searching instead of making yet another "shocks through the floor" thread and this is sadly the newest / best one i have found.

My only question is: Have the people that have done this mod noticed an increase in axle wrap due to the shocks no longer being located fore and aft of the axle?

I'm in the process of designing my shock mounts and specing my shocks and just needed to know if I should be planning on extra downtime and money for a traction bar.

I currently don't have an axle wrap problem, and my current shocks are pretty much spent so i don't see it causing much of an issue, just seeing if anyone has run these without a traction bar and started having a problem due to the new shock location.

Very good question, I've been searching old threads as well. I've got a new set of Fox Shox ready for a new home under the rear, just been looking for ideas and answers too.

My plan as of now is to use the stock sway bar mounts on top of the spring plates and go through the floor to a upper mounting point yet to be determined.

I would like to know more about axle wrap with this type of placement too, since this thread is older we should get some feedback, I hope from those that have been running for a while.

I'd like to see some more pics of in cabin mounting set ups as well.

Heres how I did mine, also opened up the wheel wells 4". Only great things to say about it, Ive had it like this for almost 8 months, and Ive been nothing but extremely happy. Im using all 13" of travel out of a 14" travel 7100.
IMAG0178.jpg

IMAG0179.jpg

IMAG0180.jpg

IMAG0181.jpg

Back