• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear main seal tips

I just did mine last night. I didn't realize you had to take the girdle down. That was one messy job. I'll bet my RMS has been leaking for A LONG time. I was cleaning the tranny, oil pan, starter, block, etc... for HOURS....

Although this job is a pain, it really is nice that you don't have to drop the clutch/flywheel/transmission. Another thing it REALLY helps to be lifted. I'm sitting at 4.5" and the pan came right out without any issues. Putting it back up there was the pain...

I got everything back together, I drive it arount and park on a towl in my garage, an hour later theres a 3 drips of pure black oil, like the stuff in bearing bolts, im hoping its just old oil. But I may as well change the oil filter adapter in the near future.

I got everything back together, I drive it arount and park on a towl in my garage, an hour later theres a 3 drips of pure black oil, like the stuff in bearing bolts, im hoping its just old oil. But I may as well change the oil filter adapter in the near future.

That sucks... Hope you don't have to go back in there. I'm on day two and the bottom of the motor is still clean!

Great writeup for a TJ but some bits others miss.

http://www.dailydriventj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=811

That is the write up that I followed, along with all the RMS links and info in this thread/NAXJA. I just finished last night, and the plastic piece that comes with the Fel-Pro kits is amazing in its simplicity and function (I found out the hard way and cut the first seal, which I got from the dealer and didn't include the plastic piece).

The piece just sits between the engine block and the seal as you slide it in, to prevent the seal from getting nicked/cut on the block (in the dailydriventj writeup the author has a good description about it).

I nicked the first seal as I slid it in without the plastic piece, so I made sure I had it on the second try. The piece obviously isn't necessary, but I found it helpful.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to worry you. No leaks is a good thing, so you must have done it right. I just wasn't lucky/patient enough on the first try.

Back