• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

REAR LEAF SPRING LIFT OPTIONS

I plan on using a 2" shackle w/new HD leafs (which have the longer 2nd main leaf), any issues with this? New HD leafs are $130 pr. + 30. shpg.

Or was looking at the 2" BB w/1 1/2" shackle and 1/2" block. Would the 1/2" block still be a problem? Seems so minor! (this kit has the 'cheap' looking BPE's that allegedly give the stock shock 1" travel length back so can retain stock shocks)

90' xj has original stock springs that have severe reverse bow (measures 2" under stock height) and orig. shackles that have large flaking going on and look to be about half orig. thickness at bottom. This is the last items I have to replace to finally get inspection. Figured since I have to replace might as well add 2". No funds to go higher right now.

Thanks,
Ken

I think you might have other issues. We ran extended shackles with stock leaves for over 3 years on one of out XJs and never had a bent main leaf,and that XJ wheeled. As far as most recommending a AAL over a shackle, I've been on these boards for years and that is not true. I would guess your problem is someone over tightening the shackle bolts preventing them from moving freely and causing the stress to the main leaf.

dynamite44 said:
about 25k on these leaf packs when the picture was taken. i had the origional springs replaced under warranty at 30k because they were so saggy. these are the 2nd set of OE springs in the XJ. i didn't put the shackles on until these springs had 20k on them. within 5k, this is what they looked like.
shackleandhitch24ua.jpg

i towed a 13 foot boat accross town once. that's it.
here they are after a little over 2,000 miles with the shackles:
2kaftershackles9bs.jpg

backspringsbent9by.jpg

just under 4k after installing the shackles.
i have no other modifications on the rear. no blocks or anything else.
there's a reason most people on forums like jeepforum will tell you to get the AAL instead of the shackle when it comes to budget boosts, because it wrecks the weak master leaves on OE packs.
look at the stock leaf spring. the master leaf towards the rear has a long expanse where its the only leaf. when there are other leaves there, that's great to keep it from bending the wrong way. aftermarket leaves usually have the 2nd leaf much longer than the factory spring's 2nd leaf, which makes the aftermarket leaves last longer.
they bend the leaves because the stock packs don't have anything but the master leaf in the rear 1/3 or so of the spring, where the shackle is.
i notice others here say they havn't bent their stock master leaves, but they have added leaves from other packs, sustaining the arch of the master leaf. i said stock packs. what you're talking about are no longer stock.
BS flag denied.

badbowtie87 said:
I am thinking about piecing a lift together. Mainly because there are several things i can build myself. But i was wondering who makes a good leaf spring that will last. Im wanting to get about 5.5" of lift. I figured 1.5" or so could come from a shackle. Also what coil springs would you guys recommend. Ive been reading nothing but bad about RC coils and lift kits in general.

Read down on the linked thread, this should help with your decision. I've run the RE 1462's and ZJ 4.5 coils for about 3 years with good results. My black Jeep was sold last month, but I'll run RE stuff again on my new one, FWIW.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=80112&page=2

afd516 said:
http://www.bigoffroad.com/

They can hold all the weight you want. I absolutely love mine! They are a bit price but worth every penny.

I was looking at them to replace my worn out RE springs. I know his site claims 1.5" more lift than advertised if there's no load in the back. What size did you get and what did you net after install with an empty cargo area? I'd like to net 5-6" so I was thinking about the 4" springs since I have the ORGS boomerang shackle.

Before I replaced the leafs I had an aal, shackle and one inch lift block that was supposed to net 4.5". It was sagging bad. When I put the new bor leafs on, it lifted my rig 4.5" in the rear. I do not know how much lift it actually was due to the fact that I had bad springs to begin with. It was higher than 4.5" though. I have wheeled it pretty hard and flexed with probably 350 lbs in back and they probably drop about an inch after the install.

I will need more time on them to see if they settle more. I have only had them about a month and a half.

I believe you get what you pay for. I am very happy with my purchase.

dynamite44 said:
the longer shackle works like a bigger lever, thus under compression forces more tension on the factory main leaf.

No. If that were the case then all of the other lift kits for many vehicles from various makes would have the same problem. Sorry, I still don't buy it. I agree with JnJ that perhaps your shackle bolt was too tight and/or you overloaded it, yes, even once. Either way you look at it, thousands of shackle/bracket kits have been sold for MANY years for MANY vehicles and haven't caused problems. You're only giving your own example and the word of 'Jeep Forum' as your gospel. Expand your horizons and do a little more research before offering your 'advice'. ;)

FWIW, the three rigs i have seen with stock packs and an extended shackle have had inverted leaves within a few months. just my experience with them on stock packs.

dynamite44 said:
about 25k on these leaf packs when the picture was taken. i had the origional springs replaced under warranty at 30k because they were so saggy. these are the 2nd set of OE springs in the XJ. i didn't put the shackles on until these springs had 20k on them. within 5k, this is what they looked like.
shackleandhitch24ua.jpg

2kaftershackles9bs.jpg

backspringsbent9by.jpg

there's a reason most people on forums like jeepforum will tell you to get the AAL instead of the shackle when it comes to budget boosts, because it wrecks the weak master leaves on OE packs.
look at the stock leaf spring. the master leaf towards the rear has a long expanse where its the only leaf. when there are other leaves there, that's great to keep it from bending the wrong way. aftermarket leaves usually have the 2nd leaf much longer than the factory spring's 2nd leaf, which makes the aftermarket leaves last longer.
they bend the leaves because the stock packs don't have anything but the master leaf in the rear 1/3 or so of the spring, where the shackle is.
i notice others here say they havn't bent their stock master leaves, but they have added leaves from other packs, sustaining the arch of the master leaf. i said stock packs. what you're talking about are no longer stock.
BS flag denied.

sounds like there was a problem with something in the first place, if you had them replaced after 30k miles... so why is it a surprise that after adding a shackle you only got 25 out of them???

i dont think you can blame that on the shackle, but on the springs themselves... so what happened the first time around, was it just a heavy foot that cause some jacked up springs?

you said you towed a trailor ONLY ONCE, and only had 5k on the shackles... well, once is enough to do damage, and 5k isnt enough time for anything to happen... my rustys springs didnt start to settle till about 7k, but i flexed the piss outta them and carried full loads of shingles for a week while we were waiting for good weather to replace my grandmas roof... they still havent sagged at all, just sit about 4" now, so i say you either had more miles on them, or abused them more than you should, but dont wanna own up to it :cool:

That is what my leafs look like with factory shackles, at 240000+ miles, but as soon as the jeep is lifted they are fine, and resettled a little later to the same spot. I repalced the bushings and greased everything up and now tey don't do that anymore. So you could say that mine were in a bind and that was causeing it.

BOOTLEGGER said:
does anyone have the rated spring rate for any of the bastard leaf spring candidates (i.e. S-10, Dakota, MJ)?
Thanks in advance, Daniel
I am just putting in a pack from a s10 this summer I have maybe 300 into it now and its sitting between 7-8 of lift it acn be done on the cheap if you are carfull just my 0.02

Craig96_XJ said:
i dont think you can blame that on the shackle, but on the springs themselves...

An extended shackle modify's the cycle of the springs. The longer the shackle is the more leverage the weight of the jeep has to flatten the arch of the leaf springs.

Basically, the shackle is a part of the springs, and more of a heavy duty spring pack would fair better with extended shackles, but stock leaves are too soft.

Creature said:
An extended shackle modify's the cycle of the springs. The longer the shackle is the more leverage the weight of the jeep has to flatten the arch of the leaf springs.

Basically, the shackle is a part of the springs, and more of a heavy duty spring pack would fair better with extended shackles, but stock leaves are too soft.

i'm not the only one giving this "advice" as ecksjay said.

dynamite44 said:
i'm not the only one giving this "advice" as ecksjay said.

Then you both happen to be giving the wrong advice. Unless you modify the mounting position at the body to change the angle of the shackle, you're not changing the "leverage" being exerted on the leaf pack by using a longer one.

I've seen them bend like this with stock shackles, longer shackles, stock packs, add-a-leaf'd packs...it's the lack of support under the main leaf for such a long span that bends them like that. Abuse just makes it happen faster.

Maybe stop overloading the cargo area of the XJ?? Or add another XJ main leaf with the eyes cut off.

BOOTLEGGER said:
does anyone have the rated spring rate for any of the bastard leaf spring candidates (i.e. S-10, Dakota, MJ)?
Thanks in advance, Daniel

Daniel, you should get Brian's old MJ packs from him...

dynamite44 said:
shackleandhitch24ua.jpg

2kaftershackles9bs.jpg

backspringsbent9by.jpg

BS flag denied.

take a second stock master leaf and cut it off just outside the eyes and viola no more sag. well unless you jump it alot.

Back