• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear leaf spring break in?

samger2

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a break in period on rear leaf springs? I got new pro-comp springs to replace my stock ones for my 3" lift...I REALLY hope there's a break in period on springs because these things are so bouncy it literally jars my neck by the time I get to work. It's not a harsh, stiff ride, but the opposite, SUPER bouncy. There's absolutely no way you could offroad these springs without literally fracturing your neck lol

Oh...and the rest of the suspension is a 3" zone lift

It is possible to tighten the leaf spring bolts and shackle bolts so tight that the springs will not be able to cycle when hitting bumps. The resulting ride would be similar to your description. Try loosening all 6 bolts with the weight of the rig on the ground, then retighten the bolts to the proper torque spec.

Did you install new, longer travel shocks to match the lift?

I do believe there is a break in period, as with all springs.

But yeah, I'd recommend checking the bolts as well. When I put on my RE lift, the bushings in the shackles were squeaking like crazy going over bumps, even though I had greased the crap out of them. I loosened them up quite a bit giving them just a slight amount of preload and the noise went away and ride got a tad better.

Ok...sounds good. So I should loosen them all up without the jeep lifted and then re-tighten to proper specs?

I have a 3" zone lift that came with the appropriate shocks

I thought I did that, but I could be wrong since given my infrequent availability to work on it. It took me over 2 weeks to finish the lift because I have only certain times available to me...and I did the rear first, so I very well may have torqued everything down before I dropped it.

I'll go out to the parking lot today at work and loosen everything up and retorque

I was talking to a couple guys here that I work with. Maybe I'm explaining it wrong. It's not a mushy ride, it's SUPER stiff. It doesn't bounce like a blown shock would...I think I confused bouncy with really really stiff.

When I put on my RE lift, the bushings in the shackles were squeaking like crazy going over bumps, even though I had greased the crap out of them...

Really? I never considered greasing those bushings. The RE instructions didn't say a word...

Should I have?

Oops.

Robert

Back