• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear hatch problems...

XJ99

NAXJA Forum User
I'v got a 1999 Cherokee, for the past month the back hatch has been acting a bit funny, It locks and closes properly but It seems to get stuck closed and wont open....I found out If I push against the back hatch area and then open It at the same time It seems to pop open.....

Well now It was closed and that trick does not work anymore....It wont open, (It locks....then I have no pull, the handle is really loose), but then (It opens....I have tension on the handle when I pull It, but It doesnt open the hatch, Just sits there), I'v tried all my old tricks of pushing the door in then pulling out and what not but It Just seems not to be working anymore, the keyhole works and so does the power button on my key chain...I dunno?

How hard is this to fix, what could possibly be wrong?

I was thinking about Just taking It to the stealership because Im not real technical with the oem parts but I dont wanna spend an arm and leg at the dealership....how much you think they will charge to fix this?

So what does this have to do with MOD TECH?

it has to be the latch take off the inside hatch cover and check it out. We cant tell without lookin at it.

ok man thanks, sorry I thought I put this in the oem section, my fault.....

The door armor looks really good, thanx for the quick delivery, I'll get ya some pics when I get It all cleaned up!

XJ99 said:
ok man thanks, sorry I thought I put this in the oem section, my fault.....

The door armor looks really good, thanx for the quick delivery, I'll get ya some pics when I get It all cleaned up!

Had to reaz ya a bit...glad you like it...yep the rear hatch mechanism can be a bear, I dont know if earlier years are the same if so I got a bunch lying around.

Yeah and send me a pic when ya can. appreciate it

I have a 99 that had the same problem.
The real problem is bad design. What happened with mine is that a little serated rod slipped off the adjustment serration.
You need to take the hatch cover off. Easy with the door open, a bear with door closed.
Look at the lock mechanism, you will see that vertical adjustment rod, that is what activates the lock. Adjust it lower (I think) and try it. Play with it a little and you can see what it needs. After I adjusted mine, I installed an "e" clip to prevent the rod from slipping out of adjustment again.

uni-body tweak?

Back