• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear fenders chop is done *pics*

If I do cut the seam, would a stick welder work to weld it back up?
I've been thinking about picking up a cheap one somewhere anyway.

I really have no idea about the welding part. My friend used a mig welder on mine, and it took him forever. So I dunno if a stick welder would work for you. And I wouldn't have your first welding project be on your jeep. It's not worth the risk. If you've got a friend that can weld and is willing to do it, then have them do it.

It wouldn't be my first. I just don't have my own welder yet and most of the welding I did was on thicker stuff. I havent installed it yet, but I fabbed up a 3/16 thick steel diamond plate skid for the gas tank and 4 jack stands. I've made quite a few other things too, just not really thin stuff like the body is. I know arc and mig welding, I just figure an arc welder will be cheaper to start with if it will work for this.

Re: Rear fenders chop

I recently read the post on bushwacker flares. I installed them myself in a rush to make my rig legal. At any rate, I cut the pinch seam of the unibody and have yet to fix it - there is lots of the seam cut on both rears - this has given me tons of clearance for 33's with ~6" of lift but - "has significantly weakened the body" - how much so?. I have little welding experience, what type of welder will work best for this project? I was thinking about trying to fix it by using some sort of a plate that covers the seam... any suggestions?

I tried it with an arc welder and it didn't work worth a shit. So I ended up using a welding tip and the oxy/acetaline torch, and it worked awsome. When you weld the seams you will burn your paint and it will warp the metal a little, I ended up sanding all the paint off, filling and re-painting the rear quarters, I didn't have to but I wanted it done right.

Back