• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear disc conversion

Silver Sport

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if the rear Discs off of a Grand Cherokee would fit on my XJ without to much trouble, my gearhead friend say they will but they are not Jeep guys, So I thuoght I would ask you guys.

Yes, ZJ rear disc brakes will work on the D35/8.25. The D35 will bolt right up, the 8.25 will need to be bored out a little. There is a lot of info out about this...

Will.

yeah it works and its awesome. i have 98 zj discs on my 98 xj and i absolutely love them. you cant lock them up without changing the proportioning valve. but without abs you dont want to lock them up anyway. all you have to do is pull the axle shafts out and remove the xj backing plate and then bolt on the zj backing plate. once you have that its basically just putting a brake setup back together. time takes about 3 hours. it really is insane. major increase in braking power. go for it man. you'll like it

i am so confused... maybe I am not enough of a "gearhead" but why on earth would it require any modifications? Do they not use the same hub or stud spacing? who knows maybe I am just retarded however I really doubt that is the case.

Chris

GasAlley said:
i am so confused... maybe I am not enough of a "gearhead" but why on earth would it require any modifications? Do they not use the same hub or stud spacing? who knows maybe I am just retarded however I really doubt that is the case.

Chris

there's a flange on the end of the axle tube with 4 bolts that hold on either the drum brake backing plate or the disc brake caliper bracket. the arrangement of these 4 bolts is the same on ZJs and TJs, but different on XJs. that's the gist of it... there are a few other details to watch out for too ;)

cbremer said:
there's a flange on the end of the axle tube with 4 bolts that hold on either the drum brake backing plate or the disc brake caliper bracket. the arrangement of these 4 bolts is the same on ZJs and TJs, but different on XJs. that's the gist of it... there are a few other details to watch out for too ;)

the clipped 35's and 8.25 use the same pattern as the ZJ/TJ's

Back