• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear bumper/tire carrier build

Nope, I am worried about killing the rear springs & Using too much fuel.
I wonder if having an excessive amount of weight that far back on the rig will affect its handling?

I've driven an 88 with a bumper MUCH heavier than that with a 35 on it and 5 gal gas can. Drove it 75 down the freeway and didn't feel any different than my 87 with a 33 and no can. I don't think he is even close to the point of worrying about the weight.

Great job!

+1 on that, I'm trying to find some one on L.I. that can do good fab work...

Trying to make a bumper myself.

Wanna drive to NY and help??

Great job btw

also thanks for some great ideas

Looks good,but why didnt you incorperate the receiver and some shackle mounts into it?

Looks good,but why didnt you incorperate the receiver and some shackle mounts into it?

Everybody asks about the hitch. I still plan to tow my camper with it. Since it uses a weight distribution setup I prefer to use an actual hitch.

There are D-ring tabs. They are under both ends of the swing arm. They are hard to see without the D-rings attached.

I've been driving on the interstate everyday to work this week and haven't noticed any difference and my front sway-bar is still disconnected. I didn't weigh it, but I'm guessing it's 120lbs.

how'd you do the hinge?
I don't have a close up picture but the tire carrier is a piece of 1 1/4" tubing sch. 120 with a 3/4" bushing inside of it. I welded a 3/4" grade 8 nut to the top of the d-ring shackle and welded a 3/8" plate to the top of the bumper. Ran a 3/4" grade 8 bolt thru the top bracket and it screws into the nut.

About how much did that cost for the material?

Judging from the feedback, have you thought about building more of these?

Looks good..
Here is a thought...
All the builds I see move the tire away to get the door open somehow.
I think it would be nice to have the arm swing down somehow so the spare tire can be taken off at ground level.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery

No, actually I beat both of you by a long shot:rolleyes:

Post #9 in this thread :

Very nice!
I posted in North Atlantic to see if I could get some one local to do one for me.

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery:worship::rolleyes:

Re: Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery

No, actually I beat both of you by a long shot:rolleyes:

Post #9 in this thread :

Yes, you did infact pick up on it....nice work!

Copy'n the design dosent phase me as much now as it did the other evening, have fun with it!

Back