• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear brakes/rear axle

TunnelRat

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a feeling that my rear drums are going to need a rebuild, as I replaced the pads less than a year ago and I'm already starting to hear some grinding back there. I haven't had the wheel off yet, so this may all be a moot point depending on the situation. Here's my thoughts. I don't want to rebuild the drums because I hate working on them. I currently have a D35c and have no intention of going any higher than 3" with 31s. Do I:

Get a Teraflex disc conversion kit?

Swap the 35 for a 8.25 and put KJ discs on it?

Swap the 35 for a 44 and put ZJ discs on it?

Something else entirely?

As with everything, money is a factor, but I'm realistic and am not going to say ZOMG I NEED TO DO THIS FOR UNDER $50!!!

Thanks for your opinions.

I picked up a Ford 8.8 at the JY for $90 from an explorer. That, a friend with a welder, the 8.8 Simple Swap Kit from RuffStuff and a HD Cover from RuffStuff (the JY here punches holes in all the stock covers -.-), and a yoke converter for the driveshaft. I think I spent about $300 total for a stronger than 44 rear end.

No need to shorten or anything...same bolt pattern as we already have. Big, beefy, cheap. :)

EDIT: Almost forgot that this came with Disc brakes too.

Last edited:
Snag a set of zj rear disc's at the junk yard is an option.

you might pull your drums off to see if there is loose parts or dirt in there . I had my self adjuster cable break on mine. That would be the cheepest way to go for now.

My vote is for the 8.25

ebe9a4ym.jpg

Cut out the bottom of a corporate 14 bolt axle and weld plate in place to gain clearance

me5apa4u.jpg

Should be just stock 3.55s, but I'll double check.

On the 8.8 gearing question:
Mine are also 3.55 and that's what I got from the JY. They came in a few different ratios so you have to find the one that matches. What I did actually was picked up two and sold the second...took the gears from one and the limited slip from another (which came with the 3.73's but not the 3.55's), combined it to get me limited slip (since I can't afford a locker for the rear yet). Works like a charm. :)

So finally got a chance to take off the drums today, and found bits and pieces floating about in there:

IMG_20130329_105720.jpg

Which made nice grooves in the drums:

IMG_20130329_105711.jpg

This is where they came from:

IMG_20130329_105744.jpg

As evidenced by the other side:

IMG_20130329_105819.jpg

So this clip and spring with the cable attached to it - what does it do, and can I live without it until I get a new axle? My guess is that it helps pull the shoes back in once the brakes are released?

That's part of the self adjuster for the brakes... if you don't drive a lot just leave it off & adjust brakes manually. If this is a daily the parts are available as a kit inexpensively.

That 8.25 is a good deal. I swapped one into my XJ and sold the Dana 35, only spent $35 all said and done.

The ZJ disc swap is worth doing too... works well and really nice not to have to mess with all those stupid little parts ever again.

Back