• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Axle Swap ??'s

JeepinPA

NAXJA Forum User
The Dana 35 in my 87 XJ is ready to grenade. I am wondering if I find a Dana 44 out of a newer XJ (mid 90's) if it is a direct bolt-in? Assuming, of course, that the gear ratios are the same...
Thx in advance.

JeepinPA said:
The Dana 35 in my 87 XJ is ready to grenade. I am wondering if I find a Dana 44 out of a newer XJ (mid 90's) if it is a direct bolt-in? Assuming, of course, that the gear ratios are the same...
Thx in advance.

I don't think they put the Dana 44 on XJ's in the mid 90's, but hey...I've been wrong before, many many times. :wave:

pancake said:
I don't think they put the Dana 44 on XJ's in the mid 90's, but hey...I've been wrong before, many many times. :wave:

they didn't.

in the 91 or so you started to see the corp 8.25, which is a huge upgrade from the d35, however the real slick change is to go with a ford 8.8 out of an Explorer or Ranger, many/most of these have disc brakes, can be found with gears up to 4.10's and some have a factory limited slip. These axles can be had with the 4.10's and LS for $350ish here in MI all day long, this is what I'm going to put into my wife's XJ when I get around to regearing, regear and upgrade the axle by leaps and bounds for the cost of regearing, of course you'll need to regear the front if you don't match. The 8.8's have the 5 on 4.5" bolt patten as well.

My opinion the best upgrade you can do for the money. Do a search, there's alot of tech on this swap.

dan

you are most likely thinking of the Grand .... but my understanding is they run an aluminum center section.. you won't be gaining alot inthe way of strength... if you get a D44 from an 87 or 88 (not as likely) and have it overhauled it will be as strong as a new unit... all XJ axles will bolt right up.. the only differences will be U-BOLT size and rear d/shaft length.. a chrys 8.25 axle is close to the D44 in strength but the aftermarket support is not as thorough... the ford 8.8 is a popular swap but is by NO MEANS a bolt -in operation.. simple mods yes.. disc brakes are always cool.. the weaknesses of the 8.8 have been identified and a knowlegable axle shop can set you up right.. i'm a little "grey" on what the bolt pattern is on the ford axle so it may need mods to the stud pattern as well...
mike

Ok, well that sounds cool. I'm just looking to keep it rollin right at the moment. I won't be doing much trail riding anytime soon. I'm also hoping that my D35 doesn't decide to lock up at 65 mph.....It's getting real loose and clunky.

Mopar Action Mag just did a real good article on upgrading the 8 1/4" diff. I think they got everything needed from Randy's Ring and Pinion. I just checked. It is the Feb 04 issue. It should still be on the stands.....

Luke said:
On the ford axle what needs to be modified or done to put it in?
Spring and shock mounts need to be cut off and XJ-friendly ones welded on
Im not sure on the disc brake stuff. Some people say you just need to find a way to attach the hoses to it all right and stuff, but in speaking with one of my friends we figured youd need more fluid power to make them all work right, but no one ever mentions it when talking about swaps.

I would just swap in a 44 or an 8.25. I like the 8.25 because they're very cheap, completely bolt-in, and strong enough to run the 33's I want to on hard trails. If you're just looking to keep yours on the road, look for an 8.25 out of a '97 or newer (bigger axle shafts) or if you find a cheap deal on a pre '97, they're decent too. I've yet to have any problems or noise with the 3 different 8.25's I've run in my various Jeeps (2-93's and one '98).

Back