• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear air shock install?

skipc

NAXJA Forum User
I load my XJ up heavily sometimes, and sometimes not. When full, the rear sags a bit. When I would tow with an Explorer, I used air shocks to level it, including when loaded full of tools, etc. However, I've not seen anyone talk about that here.

Mine sits pretty level empty, but with some tools in back it tilts back. Is there a problem using air shocks to level an XJ? Assuming I won't be doing extreme wheeling, any problems off road? Messing with the leaf pack might be a bit too involved for my schedule right now...

If anyone's done this, did you connect the 2 to the same air line or keep them separate? (different performance each way)

Thanks.

Just my 2 cents...I had the same problem. I had some bad experiences in the past with air shocks. This time I went with Monroe Sensa-trac load adjusters. They are coil over shocks and have worked out great! I got mine from NAPA for about $120 for the pair. The part# for my 98 is 58594ns. Hope this helps.

The adjustment range seems acceptable. Monroe says they can maintain ride height with up to an additional 1200lbs of cargo. My problem was towing a small Pop Up camper and having the XJ loaded with gear, dogs, etc. Although I was still well within the tow range of the XJ it still caused the rear end to sag. These have fixed my problem without sacrificing ride. Worth checking into. check their website. Good luck.

I have been running air shocks for about 13 years. About 2 years ago, I noticed that they woudlnot hold air any more. I say that is a good track record for the abuse the bladders get. I was very satisfied when I needed them.

The original reason for the install was the towing of a 19' travel trailer. Worked great.

My recently purchased 92 has bolt on helper springs that aren't too bad either.

I just took some off of my '98. They looked like they came on there from the factory. The hose was clipped into factory pieces, like it was meant to be there. Not sure if it was a factory option or not, though. I have some for a stock '98 you can buy. Not the best looking shocks, but they worked good for me. I replaced them with longer DT3000's when I put the RE 4.5" lift on. I will sell them for $20 plus shipping.

I have actually been considering air shocks to remedy the sagging leafs on my '01. How do they ride? I could leave them fairly soft for daily driving and them pump them up when I have the roof top box, kids, etc. If I don't do that I have been considering the upcountry springs/shocks front and rear.

Air shocks seem like the ideal compromise to me. I had a set on a '71 cadillac and they rode pretty decent. I drive a lot of miles so I will most likely replace shocks every 2-3 years.

Right now my '98 and my Dad's '90 have the Napa Airshocks (same part number as Monroe, but probably more expensive) and I've been really happy with them. My Dad used his '90 and the '88 that proceded it for work at a local railroad in the Maintenence of Way departments and always carried lots of tools and other stuff in them and noticed a considerable improvement in both ride and handling as well as no ill effect on offroad use over a variety of "obsticles", and has also put tons of miles on them to boot. I haven't done anything that can be confused with offroading since we've gotten mine installed (although I have driven on dirt and gravel roads that are smoother than some of the area paved roads around here), but did notice an improvement in cornering, acceleration, and ride. The only hard part was drilling the floor for the line brackets and finding a decent mounting point for the inflator. Dad has his drilled into the chrome bumper, while since mine is painted body color and I was worried about rust damaged paint, we installed mine in the shield/bracket for the trailer harness (which is a pain to drill by the way).

Check out www.trucksprings.com. They sell Air-Lift & Timbren systems for rear Cherokee leaf springs. Air-Lift bags are air adjustable and Timbren are sealed. Manual and automatic ride height controllers are available for Air-Lift system.

Back