• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear 4 link w/SAW air shocks progress pics

ROBERTK said:
very nice and hope you dont patent any of that, I just found my basis to start with.

Please inform Me/Us if theres any airshock issues with the off camber and such. If not then I will have to go that route. The OD is so much less and usable outbound of frame rails due to the smaller OD it looks like.

No patent pending....420 Fabrications encourages copying their designs. If you do, and it breaks, lemme know so I can change it before I break. :laugh3:

As I stated before...the rig is way more stable than I thought it would be. "white line" is an off-camber obstacle on the Terminator trail here in Phx. It's a rock outcropping that leans you about as far as you can go without flopping. I've done it probably a hundred times before with leafs. The air shocks felt the same going over it. Again, I think because they can only extend so far, and because they are outboard of the rails.

TrailHunter said:
So do those upper arms say somewhat stationary, preventing any clearance issues with those passages through the floor. I'm glad to see someone do that to keep their AS numbers in check.

I ended up with about a softball sized hole for each upper arm, but could have gotten away with a much smaller hole (maybe baseball sized) if I would have eyeballed the arm placement better.

There really isn't that much movement from the uppers.

trailxj said:
looks pretty good.

what are you doing about your exhaust?

I put a cherry bomb on it. It fits between the lower bracket and the driveshaft, no problem.

Plus, it sounds WAY better than my previous muffler that looked like swiss cheese.

Paul S said:
Looks good Rick, no loss of clearance :thumbup:

Are you going to raise the gas tank? It looks rather vulnerable now.

Paul

After you posted this, I looked at it, and sure enough, I smacked my gas tank skid pretty good on Raw Deal. I never really did before, unless I was highly jacked up.

It is vulnerable now, but I think I'll leave it, as it protects the hatch :)

Oh ya...I forgot to mention.....I do have a fairly significant case of rear steer when flexed. Only time will tell if it's a problem.

Is this because the lowers are slightly triangulated?

Rick

Rick XTRM XJ said:
Oh ya...I forgot to mention.....I do have a fairly significant case of rear steer when flexed. Only time will tell if it's a problem.

Rick
It's just the nature of control arms.
Since the suspension cycles in an arc the axle moves forward and back.
Leafs move the axle in pretty much a vertical line.

Rick XTRM XJ said:

Rick
:laugh3: It's because they are not triangulated enough :laugh3: :wave:

flex steer is a function of the roll axis, a flat roll axis will have no flex steer. triangulated uppers and parallel lowers have a roll axis parallel to the lowers, so often at an angle about 10 degrees. A dual-triangulate 4 link with the uppers converging at the axle and the lowers converging at the frame will typically have a nice flat roll axis.

now that's all theory and geometry, but what I wonder is how detrimental flex steer really is on your average trail rig....?

i dig the Rat in the rear passenger window...

what are you doing to keep water out of the cab where the shock goes through the floor?

looks like I have next summers project lined up now :D

XJ_ranger said:
i dig the Rat in the rear passenger window...

what are you doing to keep water out of the cab where the shock goes through the floor?

:D

I somehow "adopted" the rat....now he goes with me everywhere.

The water....well, it'll just drain out all the other holes. Always has since the cage went through the floor :rof:

Rick

someone else host these pics, i can't view the webshots server, it's blocked on my network. Wanna see what Ricky is up to.

BrettM said:
now that's all theory and geometry, but what I wonder is how detrimental flex steer really is on your average trail rig....?

Probably not much, I imagine it would be annoying as the rear would follow a different line or even off the line you wanted but you should be able to compensate for it and drive accordingly. Of course this depends on the amount of rear steer.

Mine has a lot of rear steer. Doesn't bother me much on the trail, but on rough stuff with any kind of speed it gets entertaining.

I can't believe 420 fab has been getting more done than me. Sad, so very sad. I now have two things to fight you over.

Nobody wants to hear about your sordid love triangle. I don't care if he showers or not!!

OneTonXJ said:
Nobody wants to hear about your sordid love triangle. I don't care if he showers or not!!

It's no worse than reading about you and Hinkley tigging each other.

As Matt so boldly put it in an e-mail you probably recieved......

"Don't fight over me...there's more than enough to go around"

I'll share :kissyou:

Rick

Back