• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"Real XJs" revisited

lazyxj

NAXJA Member #1310
With so many building buggies and 'trailer queens', I wonder are you still driving a 'Real XJ'? Read on.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14277&highlight=Real+XJs

I see that Goatman is now building another 'Real XJ' to go along with his buggy. It can be cold and wet this time of running in a buggy.
Doors, windows, heat and A/C can make wheeling a lot more comfortable.

With so many building buggies and 'trailer queens', I wonder are you still driving a 'Real XJ'? Read on.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14277&highlight=Real+XJs

I see that Goatman is now building another 'Real XJ' to go along with his buggy. It can be cold and wet this time of running in a buggy.
Doors, windows, heat and A/C can make wheeling a lot more comfortable.

I have doors, windows, heat and A/C. In fact, I have Goatmans old 'Real XJ'...

I can tell you its no more comfortable than wheeling in a buggy.

I'm not sure I view buggies as "real XJs"... but that's probably because I don't have one.

I say if the DMV thinks it's an XJ, it's an XJ :dunno:

Personally I think if you replace so many things on the Jeep until there is nothing original or would have possibly come on it then its not a jeep anymore. Now with that being said there are parts that didnt come on it but are factory parts that I think would still qualify it as a "Real XJ" like doing the rear Jeep disc brake swap. Didn't ever come on the XJ but still Jeep parts. Putting a Rubicon front Dana 44 axle in I think keeps it within the "Real XJ" spectrum. Adding things like bumpers and roof racks and lights don't make it any less of an XJ since you just added to make it better. But cutting and XJ up and swapping in so many parts that its not an XJ anymore to me is just kinda silly. I personally think it is way more work trying to shove a 350 into and XJ than just stroking that I6. The 4.0L is a great motor so why not just make it better. With a stroker and the proper gearing there is plenty of power to do just about anything you could want to do with an XJ.

There is obviously a ton of room for debate on this one because everyone has a difference of opinion.

I have doors, windows, heat and A/C. In fact, I have Goatmans old 'Real XJ'...

I can tell you its no more comfortable than wheeling in a buggy.
Do a lot snow wheeling in a buggy?
How about on wet days with lots of mud?

We have been hanging out in the high desert lately and have enjoyed being warm and dry while exploring a new trail.
We gave up on the VW buggy years ago after getting tired of being cold, wet and dirty.
I do miss its ability to go almost anywhere at speed.

Do a lot snow wheeling in a buggy?
How about on wet days with lots of mud?

We have been hanging out in the high desert lately and have enjoyed being warm and dry while exploring a new trail.
We gave up on the VW buggy years ago after getting tired of being cold, wet and dirty.
I do miss its ability to go almost anywhere at speed.

I've been snowed on in Goatmans buggy.

Generally I try and stay out of the mud whether or not I'm in a full body well sealed rig .. it takes the trails a long time to recover from that BS.

My '96 XJ has heat, A/C, all power options, and sits on 32's. It was my daily driver until I hit a deer with it. I'm hoping to be driving it again in the next week or so. Nothing like hitting the open highway with it, setting the cruise control, and relaxing.

The original first post in the thread that was referenced is near perfect, and I would have to whole heartedly agree with it. My XJ is on 31s and goes where I want it to and makes some bigger vehicles look silly. The overall build is going to be 4in lift, cut with 33s, stock axles w/4.56s and aussie out back daily driven. It is just logical, cheap, and VERY VERY potent on most trails.

that was one of the dumbest things Ive ever read...bar none.

people build vehicles for all different purposes. My XJ was my DD for 2 years while I built, and wheeled it. After that, I got a DD and the game changed. I could wheel the XJ harder, modify more stuff specifically for offroad, etc. over time it got to the point where it wasn't streetable. not because it was dangerous, but 38s, no flares, sway bars removed, 3 link, etc make it hard to pass a VA inspection. I did the trailer thing for a while, and right now im working on all the small things to get my rig back onto the road. even when it wasn't street legal, I still had it 60 MPH a few times comfortably.

Never did I ever consider that it wasn't a "Real XJ" seeing that Ive been through almost every "duty" phase that a wheeler can go through I see no problem with a guy that DDs their rig Vs. somebody who trailers it to where theyre going.

I can tell you through experience, and witnessing it though, that people who trailer their rig to and from where its getting wheeled generally have more fun. you dont care if it can get you home as long as you can make it back to the trailer. Thats when you really can test what your rigs made of.

That said, I do believe that a "better" built rig has the ability to drive to where its being wheeled, and then driven home. Ive seen plenty of people slap together something for offroad purposes only, steering geometry is horrible, bad driveline angles, terrible street manners all around due to a lot of important minor details being neglected.

Which is why Im currently spending so much time getting my Xj back onto the road.

But an XJ is an XJ...I dont need somebody to tell me that the thousands of dollars invested, and hundreds of hours spent in the garage led me to having a.....fake XJ?

and for some of the above posts...trail ability is a relative word.

yes, Ive done the 33s locked and though it would go anywhere. then I got 35s and went further, then i built a 44/8.8 set up with gears and went farther, then link set up and 38s etc, etc.

It all depends on who/where you wheel with as to how you relate the word trail ability. Im sure i could go to Crozet (rock crawling place in Va) and make myself look silly. I dont have much experience with rocks. Id consider my jeep to do pretty good, but even with my current set up I wouldn't think its perfect

Back