• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reading a spark plug????

Jesus, look at that cracked one!

I have a cracked manifold too, I was just curious if it affects emission readings. The Jeep has always passed before with previous owners, but next year is the time again for checking....first time as I am the new owner of my XJ. Just wondering if you can fail for a cracked manifold? It richens up the mixture a little since the o2 sensor senses more oxygen than fuel and richens up the mixture......etc.

A plug that is too hot or that is too long for the application can cause pre-ignition. Here's some light reading on the subject:
http://www.aa1car.com/library/sprkplg2.htm
http://roadstarclinic.com/content/view/70/127/

I stick with the good old copper core plugs. The heat range is better matched for the application. I learned this when selling auto parts. Guys would come in looking for a hotter or colder plug for there hot rods and we talk about spark plugs.

With the cast iron head on the 4.0L I don't mind changing them occasionally and it give me a good idea of the health of the engine. My Toyota with it's aluminum head is a different story and I run NGK u-groove plugs in it. Use the torque wrench on the Toyota religiously.

Should I have the cat replaced right away or wait a week or two and keep checking the plugs to see their condition?? I have slightly separated the joint at the front of the cat where it joins the exhaust to let some exhaust escape. It's loud now but the cat is no longer overheating. I'd hate to burn up a brand new cat.

New plugs & oxygen sensors first, then do the cat.

diluted1 said:
Are you sure the cat is plugged? I would just keep pullin the plugs to check progress to see how your running. Are you going through oil?

I was just assuming the cat was clogged because it was getting so hot, and yes I am going through oil (have been for years) but as far as I know I am only leaking it and not burning it.

casm said:
New plugs & oxygen sensors first, then do the cat.
X2, The O2 sensor has gotta be fried too. Tell the shop that you've done the plugs, O2, & exhaust manifold and have them put a fresh cat on too. You should be dialed in real good outside of it being the computer. But I doubt it a computer problem. Sounds like a your exhaust is a bit plugged up and cooking everything up the pipe and into the head. Here 's where I got my exhaust manifold.
http://www.1aauto.com/1A/ExhaustManifolds/Jeep/Cherokee/1AEEK00001/400485
Have them slap a flowmaster 60 series on there and it'll some real nice & mellow. A real bitchin' when you punch down on the gas!

I'm going to try and get by without replacing the exhaust manifold. I only plan on keeping this Jeep another year or two until my wife's car is paid off. After driving the same Jeep everyday for almost 15 years, I'm due for a new vehicle.

Boo on getting rid of the Jeep!

But I read somewhere......the Bosch +2's 4's, whatever.....current always flows the shortest route, so even with the +2's or +4's, the current will only be flowing through one of the tips! It won't be going through all of them.....so the idea is kind of pointless, from what I've read.

Blaine B. said:
But I read somewhere......the Bosch +2's 4's, whatever.....current always flows the shortest route, so even with the +2's or +4's, the current will only be flowing through one of the tips! It won't be going through all of them.....so the idea is kind of pointless, from what I've read.

While this is correct, the spark typically cycles between electrodes. It doesn't happen in any set pattern, but it does at least allow time for each electrode to 'cool' during the off-cycles. The other advantage is that they're platinums, so the change interval is longer.

I've only had success with the +4s in one vehicle I owned, but it was a 1905cc 4-cylinder twin-cam with about a 10.5:1 compression ratio. People reporting good results with them in the 4.0 seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

Blaine B. said:
Nonetheless, they are advertised incorrectly.

By whom? I've never seen Bosch (or any other multi-electrode plug manufacturer that I can recall) stating that spark travels to all four electrodes at the same time.

A couple of things that come to mind looking at your plugs is they appear to be way too hot (long). This can really screw up your piston crown. Even worse if the motor is running lean. It can burn a big pit in the top of the piston, you can see it if you rotate the motor so the piston is near the top and look in the spark plug hole with a flashlight. For some cylinders you may need a small mirror.
And about the multi electrode plugs, once the fuel ignites (with dwell figured in), what difference does it make what the spark does. More spark, hotter spark, how about enough spark to ingnite the fuel in a predictable manor.
Much of the design of a head is the shape of the crown, the depth of the plug electrode and dwell. So the fuel burns in a predictable configuration (swirl). They actually configure heads, to enhance the burn. The design figures in the recommended plug.
I've had my XJ's run just fine with 0.060 gap (neglected them for way too long), I really can't see how adding another electrode is going to enhance performance much, but may likely screw with the design parameters a bit. I know my XJ runs like crap, with the Bosch multi electrode plugs (my Renix came that way used). Seems like the uneven combustion between the cylinders, due to my slightly different compression ratios between cylinders, becomes magnified with the Bosch multi electrode plugs.
The multi electrode plugs were originally designed for overhead cam motors, that often leak oil into the cylinders from the top. The multi elelctrode plugs, seemed to be less prone to fowling. There may be some benenfit, if you idle a lot.
Over here in Europe, a lot of guys have fried pistons, running hotter plugs (or even stock). If you are going to take advantage of the no speed limit autobahns, a colder plug actually works best and the motor lasts a lot longer. Running anything but the recommended plug (or colder) is asking for grief.

Last edited:
Blaine B. said:
Boo on getting rid of the Jeep!

All good things must come to an end. If I'm lucky I should have well over 250K miles by the time I replace it. (i'm at about 226k now). Just because I'll be retiring this Jeep doesn't mean I won't be replacing it with another. The 4 door JK's should have most of the bugs worked out in a couple of years.

Dragline said:
For safety's sake please do not ignite fuel inside your home!!!
My wife is famous for that, except the fuel is dinner.

Back