• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE Hack-N-Tap SYE woes

bluexj89

NAXJA Forum User
I have had the RE HnP SYE now for years and have been having trouble with the snap ring disapearing. My questions are:
  • Any one else have this problem?
  • How did you fix it?
  • What size is the snap ring?
Last time I nopticed this I called RE and they said they have never heard of this happening. So what is going on here? This is like the 10th snap ring I have lost. BTW the slip shaft is moveing free and this is a trail only rig so the drive shaft really never turns really high RPMs.

Is yours the same SYE as this one?

http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/sye.html

If it isn't then it must be the earlier model. When you say the snap ring goes missing. You mean it simply disappears? Isn't the snap ring inside the seal? Maybe its getting too late but I'm not following whats happening.

Yup that is basicly it. there is a snap ring that holds the big washer to the "flange" itself. the pics in that article really don't show it as the SYE "flange" is up side down.

You've got an 89? Then you've got the early model t-case and are a candidate for Tom's poor man SYE. You're talking about the snapring inside the flange itself? That's a new one to me; I haven't heard of that one breaking either.

This IS what you're talking about, right?
re1807_reverse.jpg

yup that would be the snap ring. when if jump off my Jeep you never know it is gone till you crawl under there. But if it is there it must be there for a reason. Like I posted on another board,

yeah I have tried the next size larger DIA. and it is so big that the ends hit each other when installed and it was lost the first day. The problem I see with the flange being able to move a litle on the shaft is the seal gets worn out fast. Like it really seals anyways.

I do thread lock the flange and the bolt, and never had a problem with it comeing off or anything But I do think it can move back and forth on the output shaft just enough to caure the seal to wear out plenty fast. The darn thing has leaked since it was installed. I also had the shaft cut, drilled, and taped by a machine shop so I know it was cut square and drilled in the center.

well that snap ring is what holds that flange onto the washer...and the washer is bolted to the shaft. If that snapring isn't there...I think you're very lucky the shaft hasn't fallen of. If I had to guess...I bet there's a little corrosion between the SYE splines and the shaft splines helping it stay on there.

Take it the driveshat off, and then unbolt the washer... leave the flange on there (reason being....if there is corrosion holding it on, and the snapring keeps falling of, that will be your little safety blanket).... clean it up really well, make sure there's no dirt or rust in the snap ring slot, if there is clean it off, and make sure you're putting the correct snap ring back in there. Maybe even put some epoxy on the snap ring to help it stay in place. _nicko_

Having not seen exactly what you are talking about, my interpretation is that there is a flange, you put the big fender washer on the rear and then a snap ring is used to hold the fender washer in place, This means the snap ring keeps the whole flange assembly from moving forward.

If that is so, then the most likely thing that is killing your snap ring is a driveshaft that is slightly too long and at full stuff, the flange is being driven forward, busting the snap ring. You should be able to take a look at the snap ring groove and see if there has been any excessive force placed on the snap ring. Your splines in the drive shaft may also be binding due to crud, lack of grease, wear and tear, or being bent.

Gearwhine aslong as the bolt is there there is noway for the flange to come off the washer is what keeps the thing on the snap ring just keeps the flange from moveing worward. Old man you are right about the snap ring keeping the shaft from moveing forward. The drive shaft move freely and is centered on the splines when assembled or even closer to being to short. I guess it is time to get a HD SYE. or just not worry about it and live with the lost snap rings. I will be calling RE Soon again and see what they have to say again.

bluexj89 said:
Gearwhine aslong as the bolt is there there is noway for the flange to come off the washer is what keeps the thing on the snap ring just keeps the flange from moveing worward.

you are correct... completely wasn't thinking about the design correctly when I posted that.

The question is.....why is the yoke moving forward? Is the shaft too long? Are the splines binding?

I know the the splines arn't binding. as soon as Tera gets my 2 low kit warrentied I will get the t-case back together and measure the length of the driveshaft. But IIRC it was right in the middle of the splines at rest or even on the shorter side. But I will have to get it back together to verify that.

I had the snap ring on mine pop off when I first installed it. I had the driveshaft shortened about 1" and put another washer, just like the one behind the snap ring over it. When the bolt is tightened, it compresses the second washer against the first one and pinches the snap ring tight in the groove. Its worked for 4 years now.
Another thing about the RE driveshaft. It has a little hole in the center and the rear yoke. That hole must be clear to allow the driveshaft to collapse. I think thats what happened to mine and I probably didnt need it shortened but I didnt realize it until later.

Thats a good tip. I might try that on the one I am working on at the moment as I dont like the end float you get because of the snap ring.

Back