• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Re-gearing: Are 4.10's Too Big?

This thread has taken a turn to the absurd...This is like talking to kids with their hands over their ears as they scream "lalalalalala" :rolleyes:

Every car/truck/motorcycle I have ever owned/driven (that is a LOT) has gotten worse mileage when spun beyond an efficient RPM/speed...it's called fuel, and the faster an engine spins, the more it needs. Period. This is basic internal combustion engine physics and mechanics. Get over it.

Every low/mid range (RPM/powerband) engine I have ever made the mistake of over gearing has accelerated slower than the same engine using the correct gearing. Period. This is basic internal combustion engine physics and mechanics. Get over it.

Last edited:
This thread has taken a turn to the absurd...This is like talking to kids with their hands over their ears as they scream "lalalalalala" :rolleyes:

Every car/truck/motorcycle I have ever owned/driven (that is a LOT) has gotten worse mileage when spun beyond an efficient RPM/speed...it's called fuel, and the faster an engine spins, the more it needs. Period. This is basic internal combustion engine physics and mechanics. Get over it.

Every low/mid range (RPM/powerband) engine I have ever made the mistake of over gearing has accelerated slower than the same engine using the correct gearing. Period. This is basic internal combustion engine physics and mechanics. Get over it.
combine overgearing with a manual trans and you have sucky drivability on the street. everyone thinks i'm nuts for having 4.56's with 35's. it drives sooo much better than 4.56's with 33's did. i shift less, and it pulls hard much longer per gear. if i need gearing for offroading, i'll get an atlas. for now it works semi ok, although i do have to slip the clutch a little on the steep crawling stuff. not that big of a deal.

combine overgearing with a manual trans and you have sucky drivability on the street. everyone thinks i'm nuts for having 4.56's with 35's. it drives sooo much better than 4.56's with 33's did. i shift less, and it pulls hard much longer per gear. if i need gearing for offroading, i'll get an atlas. for now it works semi ok, although i do have to slip the clutch a little on the steep crawling stuff. not that big of a deal.
This.

Look for a sweet used deal on a 4:1 kit for the 231 until you can swing an Atlas;)

Sorry for defying the laws of physics.

This.

Look for a sweet used deal on a 4:1 kit for the 231 until you can swing an Atlas;)
wont touch that kit due to too many people i know killing them, so if i cant afford an atlas anytime soon, i may get a np241or

I'll let you go back and reread my post.

Back