• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rattling sound in the tailgate

My 01 rattles at the hatch unless I wedge something up against it. I'll keep watching this until you find our problem!

Open your back hatch and you'll see a small round rubber bumper just inside of the tail lights. There are two--one on each side of the jeep. Peel off each bumper and you will see a large torx screw. Turn it counterclockwise 1/2 to 1 full turn--do this to both sides. This lengthens the bumpers and causes them to snug up to the lift gate better when it is closed. This helped on my '99.

Shermerrr said:
Huh, no idea. Like I said, I'm a newb. What should I look for?

well, if you have a wiper on your rear window, then you have a rear wiper motor...hehe.

1. Remove the interior panel off the hatch
2. Tighten wiper motor bolts (if applicable)
3. Tighten latch bolts for both locking mechanism and the door handle.
4. Drive it around and see if you still have the rattle.
4a. If no rattle, re-attach interior panel and repeat Step 4. If it rattles, then your panel is the culprit
5. Look at your exhaust pipe at the rear of the vehicle and follow it along, inspecting it for rubbing the passenger side leaf spring at any location.
6. Look at your leaf spring bushings and make sure the leaf spring loops arent hitting the unibody buckets (where the leaf springs attach). If the leaf springs are loosing their bushings, it will cause rattles when the spring hits the mounting boxes.
7. Check to see if you rear seat is rattling. Lay it forward to see if it stops.
8. Check for loose speakers.
9. Check for loose wingnut on the factory tire carrier

Hopefully that will cover most of the possibilities.

husker25 said:
Open your back hatch and you'll see a small round rubber bumper just inside of the tail lights. There are two--one on each side of the jeep. Peel off each bumper and you will see a large torx screw. Turn it counterclockwise 1/2 to 1 full turn--do this to both sides. This lengthens the bumpers and causes them to snug up to the lift gate better when it is closed. This helped on my '99.
WOW, what a DUH thing. Thank you, I never noted that the studs were adjustable. I should find out if it solved my issues tomorrow. Its a good thing that my road is the purfect test track for a vibration hunt.

It also helps with my spare tire placement, 31" MTR in the factory spot with a little adjustment. Oh yeah, thanks again. If you search you shall find. :NAXJA:, has it all.

Ahh - the license plate! Only happened in 4WD but that was it - glad I didn't tear the hatch apart. Thanks Jeeperz and NAXJA!

Back