• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rattling Catalytic Converter

I can't take the rattling catalytic converter or the occasional clogged exhaust pipe anymore. Not only is the rattling annoying, but the clogged exhaust pipe is going to cause an accident; I live 5 minutes from the city up on a mountain, so when I pull out in traffic, I need to be able to go, not be bogged down almost to a stall. I need to either remove the cat, or hollow it out. I don't have the money to spend on the new one, nor do I want to. My Jeep already runs rich (8-10 mpg and backfires every time I let off the gas) so I guess I don't have to worry about that with removing the cat or its' internals. I am asking for your opinion, should I remove it or hollow it out?

i agree on checking your 02 sensor(s). and you can get a magnaflow high-flow stainless steel cat for $60 shipped off ebay. I think performancepeddler is the vendors name. I have one and it's great.

Running rich and backfiring is likely what trashed your cat in the first place.

Fix the problem, and replace the cat.

Back