• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ranger, S10, Dakota driveshaft in a MJ?

summitlt

NAXJA Forum User
After a Tranny swap I need a new driveshaft. There arent any MJs around here in the junkyards.

I am thinking of checking in other mini trucks for a driveshaft that will fit. Especially since Rangers and S10s are all over the yards.

Also, are the joints throughout most min trucks the same size? I know im asking a lot, but looks for all the info I can get before I spend hald a day in the yards looking at trucks that dont have what I need.

My truck is a 1990 MJ, 4.0, AX-15, NP231. With a D35 rear end. The front shaft I have, my current rear shaft is about a inch too short.

If anybody has a MJ shaft that is around 43" Im intrested.

Some shops might be willing to lengthen you current shaft but it'd be better if you found a too-long MJ shaft and had it cut down. Try car-part.com for junkyards.
Jeep on!
--Pete

I just searched the yards yesterday for a 42 7/8" rear shaft, no luck. Several were 42" but not much better than what I have in the MJ now, I need at least 1" more spline engagement on the slipyoke.

Some junkyards will have stacks of driveshafts, that's the easiest to pick through. If you find one with the wrong size ujoing you can buy a combo joint (jumper joint) to make it work with your yokes.

I may have to break down and have mine lengthened.

If I remember right, a YJ slipyoke is a bit longer than an MJ/XJ yoke. I'm thinking it was3/4" but I'm not positive.
Jeep on!
--Pete

Pete M said:
If I remember right, a YJ slipyoke is a bit longer than an MJ/XJ yoke. I'm thinking it was3/4" but I'm not positive.
Jeep on!
--Pete
nope, maaaaybe 1/4" longer, if that. the advantage is that it is shaped differently so it can have much more angle before it binds against the driveshaft yoke.

summitlt said:
After a Tranny swap I need a new driveshaft. There arent any MJs around here in the junkyards.

I am thinking of checking in other mini trucks for a driveshaft that will fit. Especially since Rangers and S10s are all over the yards.

Also, are the joints throughout most min trucks the same size? I know im asking a lot, but looks for all the info I can get before I spend hald a day in the yards looking at trucks that dont have what I need.

My truck is a 1990 MJ, 4.0, AX-15, NP231. With a D35 rear end. The front shaft I have, my current rear shaft is about a inch too short.

If anybody has a MJ shaft that is around 43" Im intrested.

I have two shafts in the garage that I can put together to get you a ~42.5" long shaft with decent used joints and the stock slip yoke from my '99 XJ. I can't vouch for the balance on this shaft as it is a boneyard item, but it isn't damaged and is probably okay. I can send you a pic on Sunday afternoon if you want to see the driveshafts that I have here.

PM me if you're interested - maybe we can make a deal.

I'm interested, but I know this isn't my thread so I'll get in line behind summitlt. That's the length I need and the used parts don't bother me none. I could paypal the funds asap if you could ship to me, I'm near St. Louis.

Back