• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Random Brake Problem

any update? I just had a similar thing happen to me today...pedal went to the floor, heard a clunk from up front and the e-brake light came on. only difference is, I haven't done any maintenance to my brakes in about 8 months.

well I checked my brake fluid, and it was really low...about the half way point on the reservoir. I filled it up and pumped the breaks a few time and then once really hard and the e-brake light went off. still not sure if my breaks work and don't see how that could have fixed anything...I plan on bleeding my brakes and checking for leaks before driving it.

I still havent found the problem, and I recently had a family emergency, so I have been busy with everything except fixing my brakes. I've been driving my mother in laws Jeep to work and back, and just had the quarter window fixed today. Now I need to get this fixed. There are a couple things I still need to check. I'm getting pretty fed up with them :explosion , if I dont get it fixed soon, Im just going to take it to a shop. I will give updates if I find anything else out. Maybe someone else down the line will have a brake gremlin ;).

Okay, I took it to a local mechanic and he found out the problem for me. My nearly brand new front drivers side hub assembly is already toast, as well as I had a barely noticable small leak in the back side of the proportioning valve. I never saw the leak, but I just checked, and the front drivers side hub sure is gone. Surprised it hasnt fallen apart already :explosion.

Thanks again for everyones help with my months long chase of my brake gremlin.

Jeff

Sorry for dragging up such an old topic here, but I never actually posted the real culprit in the end!

When I had previously replaced the drivers side wheel hub, I forgot to put locktite on the bottom bolt, and it had slipped out sometime while driving. That allowed the movement to push the rotor around and screw with my brakes. Oops.

Back