• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator Upgrade...

xjmyjeep

NAXJA Member #506
I am in great need of a new radiator, and am very unsure of what to go with. I know not to go with a GDI now, and between that and the old stock one that a shop put on mine (assholes, my jeep was in for a trans. replace and they ended up finding trans. fluid in my radiator).

I really need to know what to specifically go with: Brand, 2 or 3 row, composition of the radiator, etc.

Thanks for the help,

-Dan

xjmyjeep said:
I am in great need of a new radiator, and am very unsure of what to go with. I know not to go with a GDI now...

I unfortunately do not have any information to help you out, but was wondering why you said this? I'm new to Jeeps and have not had to deal with issues like this before.

Thanks,
Burbs

All those who KNOW things about radiators, please help me out and tell me what to replace my existing stock p.o.s. with.

Thanks,

-Dan

Last edited:
I'll probably catch some shiat for this but i have a a GDI (open system conversion) in my mj for a year now, and even without an aux fan, i have never had any problems with it.
The only time i have overheat is when i'm stuck in a mud pit flooring it:)

If this blows up on my i think i'm going to get a CSF rad from dirk next time.

2 row Modine,I have read good things here about the CFS so take your pick.
Wayne

I just installed my stroker. and had to run it for 1/2h at 2500rpm.
my POS stock rad didn't fill me with confedence when I pulled it out so I called around locally (Windsor Ontario Canada) and found alot of places offered OEM replacement 2 row copper w/ plastic tanks crap for about $200can. I did find a place selling an "auto kool" 3row copper and brass for $170can. the new rad did just fine during the break-in. time will tell if it will hold up to up hill on a highway.

in summery call around ask 2 or 3 row, and construstion material. if they don't know, don't bother.

MJ1990buildup said:
I'll probably catch some shiat for this but i have a a GDI (open system conversion) in my mj for a year now, and even without an aux fan, i have never had any problems with it.
The only time i have overheat is when i'm stuck in a mud pit flooring it:)

If this blows up on my i think i'm going to get a CSF rad from dirk next time.

I suggest the CSF 3 row. I just put mine in and love it. Dirk is also a nice guy and easy to work with. He has multiple XJs and knows XJs pretty good.

I've got a GDI 3-row from 800-Radiators and while it's fine for me, GDIs quality has slipped in the last few years to the point that it's hit or miss whether you're going to get an excellent one or one plugged with solder chunks.

CSF sounds like the radiator to get these days.

Is CSF a certain company then? I'm looking into getting a new radiator as well, and this information should benefit more than just me

modine here, not great, not bad, the jeep never overheated though...I think it was about $160 at NAPA. OH yeah, if you are 91-, I would go ahead and do the open cooling system upgrade while you are at it.

Best person/place to buy the highest quality radiator?

What make up (aluminium, steel...) of the radiator is best, aluminium I'm assuming?

Are there any custom shops that anyone knows of in the Midwest area that makes a good radiator, at a reasonable price?

Thanks everybody,

-Dan

xjmyjeep said:
I am in great need of a new radiator, and am very unsure of what to go with. I know not to go with a GDI now, and between that and the old stock one that a shop put on mine (assholes, my jeep was in for a trans. replace and they ended up finding trans. fluid in my radiator).

I really need to know what to specifically go with: Brand, 2 or 3 row, composition of the radiator, etc.

Thanks for the help,

-Dan

Are you overheating now?

If not, any aftermarket stock replacement will be just fine.

GDI=God Damn Indochina.

Copper/Brass will offer the best mix of cooling, and durability. Aluminum is overkill 99% of the time. Plastic/Aluminum are not too bad, assuming good quality construction.

My advice is to find a local Rad shop, and find the best price.

xjj33p3r said:
Is CSF a certain company then? I'm looking into getting a new radiator as well, and this information should benefit more than just me

I think the Dirk they are talking about is Dirk at DPG Off road.
here is the info Dirk has on his site about the CSF. $155.00 not bad.

Dirk knows his XJ's, talk to him.

Daryl

With the price that Dirk has on the website ($155), it would be a good idea for me to go ahead and just get a radiator from him. Thanks everybody for leading me down the path to making my jeep run cooler.

-Dan

I've had my CSF I got from dirk @ dpgoffroad for about a year now....very happy with it!

Another vote for Dirk and CSF. Had mine in for about 1 month now and have been real happy. Much lower temps. I'd do it again. Good luck.

Back