• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator Replacement

RideFree416

NAXJA Forum User
Hey gang,

Gotta a noob question for ya on a 96 SE. Im putting in a new radiator because the port were the upper hose connects to the rad. was in pieces when i popped the hose off to inspect a little leak. got the old one out tonight putting in the new tomorrow and had a few questions.

When I fill it I fill it through the radiator till its full right? After that i was going to run the jeep with out the cap on to let it bleed itself for about 10 min/till i stop seeing bubbles with the heat on high and look for leaks. Then let it cool down for about 20 min and see if i need to top it off. Am i checking/filling the bottle for this or the radiator?

Thanks

Fill it and then squeeze the top hose and you will force the fluid in to the motor. I then start it up and turn my heater on which may or may not take on anymore fluid due to how long it has been seating or leaking. At the same time I would look at if you need a water pump or even a thermostat. You are half way already and you don't want to have to go back in a couple months. Been there and not so great.

To make short work of the heat up time, pour some coolant into the t-stat neck so it's sitting on the outside of the t-stat. It'll help the t-stat to open up quicker and allow coolant to flow.

If replacing the t-stat, and the new one doesn't have an air bleed hole already in it, drill one yourself. Again, allows for quicker heat up as the hole allows the air to move past the closed t-stat. The hole has to be positioned at the top of the t-stat when in position.

Drilled hole:

attachment.php

Factory hole with "jiggle pin":

W01331672748GAT.JPG

Back