• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quiet Exhaust, slight increase in MPG and HP

I had a 40 series on mine. Got rid of it after it cooked my carpet. I ended up installing a Flowmaster Hushpower 2. I won't go back. Great, mellow sound, and it's stainless. Not cheap though.

rusty's catback is a much better price than that turbo city one. i don't know why the specs are nearly the same...am i missing something...flowmaster vs magnaflow? similar prices for the muffler right?

all i know is mine sounds like ass with the glasspack/no cat combo. i want to put the cat back in because i think is felt stronger down low with it in.

does anyone has a clip of they rusty's setup? i couldnt get the other to play.
thanks

I replaced my stock muffler with a flowmaster 3chamber 2 1/4 several years ago. I also put Rusty's 2 1/2 tube behind it. It got a little louder, but I didn't really notice an increase in power. You really need to increase the size of the whole exhaust system to get good results. But if you're looking for fuel economy, I'd probably stick with the stock size. I recently put the 2 1/2" Flowmaster SUV series muffler on mine, and it's got a nice exhaust note, but has alot less resonance in the cab than the old 3 chamber I had. Unlike their regular mufflers, it's designed to be used under SUV's cabins versus under a trunk or pick-up bed where there's no passengers. Also, as I live in Indiana, I understand the issue with road salt. I put the Flowmaster on before the Rusty's pipe, and after about 4 winters, Rusty's pipe had rusted through at the hanger weld point. The Flowmaster was showing rust at the baffle weld seams, but it was still solid. I decided to go ahead and replace it at the same time. The shop wanted to put a Borla cat-back on, but I just didn't want to spend the $$$. But if you can get a great deal on the Borla, and manage not to crush it while wheeling, then I'd give it some serious thought, although I can't answer the interior noise question.

I have a dynomax cat back system on my 92 it is hardly any louder than stock. I could feal the added kick when i am jumoin gon the gas. It was 90 from summit. My jeep has a high flow intake, and a Tb spacer on it for refrance.

Borla and new cat on a 92. I don't think it's anywhere near the Fowmasters as far as noise (I haven't heard a Delta series). If you can get a deal, I'd say it's a good option. It's also much smaller than my old stocker (length, width, and depth.)

Last edited:
And I can add this. When I bought my 93 ThumperXJ, it had a brand new Flowmaster on it. One could barely hear oneself think in the cab at idle, and when accelerating or at highway speeds the "Tone" was atrociously loud and irritating. I replaced the Noisemaster with a Magnaflow hiflow cat and muffler. Now I can wheel in the boondocks and the birds and animals actually stick around, I can actually TALK to passengers instead of having to yell, and I dont have to have the radio volume up almost all the way to hear it. The obnoxiously loud WUMWUMWUM and WOOOOOOOO had to go. Personally, I dig the quiet tone of the Magnalfow, which in my opinion is fully comprable to the Noisemaster. Just my .02.

DynoMax, real quiet, slight rumble, opens up when you step on it, durable. I bashed in two cats and hit the muffler several times but it's still holding up fine.

dsgray16 said:
You found an ARB, and a place to do gears for less then $200!?

bad comparisons

Well, here's what I spent on my intake and exhaust "system". Live and learn, I probably overpaid. The muffler includes intallation.
Catylatic converter - Magnaflow 94036 2 1/2 in/out $100
Muffler - Flowmaster 2 1/2 in/out Delta flow 50 $325
Air intake FIPK Gen II and K&N filter $250

total $675

I'm almost certain we can find one ARB locker for that price - and that's how I said it - one ARB locker. Also, regearing my rig is $207 for the rear R&P and near $150 for the front R&P - Yukon gears.

Maybe my comparisons weren't that bad after all.

Thumpersdriver said:
And I can add this. When I bought my 93 ThumperXJ, it had a brand new Flowmaster on it. One could barely hear oneself think in the cab at idle, and when accelerating or at highway speeds the "Tone" was atrociously loud and irritating. I replaced the Noisemaster with a Magnaflow hiflow cat and muffler. Now I can wheel in the boondocks and the birds and animals actually stick around, I can actually TALK to passengers instead of having to yell, and I dont have to have the radio volume up almost all the way to hear it. The obnoxiously loud WUMWUMWUM and WOOOOOOOO had to go. Personally, I dig the quiet tone of the Magnalfow, which in my opinion is fully comprable to the Noisemaster. Just my .02.

Noismaster,.... that's pretty funny :yelclap: :yelclap:

Not to drag the subject on, but I had a flowmaster 50 series (3 chamber) a while back on my 96 4.0, and it was deafening at highway speeds, so I switched to Magnaflow because the shop promised I wouldn't get that resonance, well, it was a little quieter at first, but is now also deafening at highway speeds a few years later. What should I get to get it whisper quiet at highway speeds but with a nice, subtle burble at idle and low speeds? Borla, Magnaflow? Or is stock the only way to get quiet on the highway. My brother has a flowmaster on his blazer that is loud at low speeds, but you can't even hear it on the highway.

Thanks everyone for the advise. I picked up the Borla cat back, before I lost the chance. I figured i could sell it if I don't like it. I should have it in a few days. I am going to get a new high flow cat since they're like $60 on Ebay, might as well start with a clean slate. I'll get it on ASAP and let you all know what I think. Thanks again.

I got a Gibson catback system a couple of years ago and I'm pretty happy w/ it. I kind of wish it was louder and meaner, but it sounds like what you're looking for. It's long & round like a glasspack and kinda big, but I haven't ripped it off yet. I've dented the crap out of the bottom of it and it took it pretty well, no leaking. If you don't have a K&N FIPK gen 2 cold air intake (or something comparable, i think they are all the same), you should definetely get one. Couple hundred dollars well spent!
Oops!! There's three pages to this thread!!! Ah well, look into the K&N though.

I find the exhaust/increase in HP and MPG issue kinda confusing.
Jeep puts one or more dents on the exhaust pipe just below the
manifold to restrict the flow for some reason that I can't figure out.
I always thought that the more flow the beter.
It is obvious that my opinion is incorrect.
Given that Jeep goes out of their way to restrict flow, what improvement
can be expected from a better (more expensive) muffler?

I don't think they go out of their way to restrict flow, I thought the main kink in the headpipe was for driveshaft clearance?

www.jcw.com also has the Catco brand catalytic converter for $60 (last time I saw it) that they advertise as hi-flow. I think they're all of the same free-flowing design nowadays, just important that it's in good condition.

I have a K&N high volume air filter on my F-150. Waste of $$$. Only made it louder. I cut out additional holes in the stock filter box to allow more air flow IN.
I won't put (and don't need) the K&N types air filter on my XJ.
This has been good info, albeit, a bit on the side of information overflow.

Bounty Hunter said:
I don't think they go out of their way to restrict flow, I thought the main kink in the headpipe was for driveshaft clearance?

Sorry, I don't buy that. Some years ('96) have three concentric dents that cannot have anything to do with DS clearance. The '99 has a single dent.
I had a friend check his and he found two.
I strongly believe that they purposely create a back pressure.
A mechanic once told me that it is supposed to prolong exhaust valve life.

I just recently put a new exhaust on the wifes 94 ZJ and had a new cat and stock muffler put on

The sound is throatier and tougher on the low end and idle but nice and quiet down the highway. I even gained mpg!!

I think anytime you change the cat and exhuast you will see some improvement in either mpg or torque but not usually both from past posts and some experience. If you are stuck on the flowmasters I would go with the 70; you get the benefits of the flowmaster but not the rumble which tends to set off car alarms...and yes with a 40 or 50 you will set off a few alarms if you drive by or idle close.

I got the wifes stock setup for $140! got the guy on a Sat. 30 min from closing and he made me a deal.

My 95XJ will be getting new exhaust in a few months and I will probably go with the 70 but like the sound of the 50. I just worry about the "drone" in the cab at a given rpm like say 2k. I own a 50 series on my truck and it "drones" at about 1500rpm (40-45mph) real bad so am leary of the 50.

Worst case scenario you will have to replace the muffler with something else if it is to loud.

JC95

I took my muffler out and just put in a piece of pipe. Sounded like a boat! That didn't last long. Then I just got the cheapest muffler from the shop thinking it would get torn up anyway, within 2 years it was leaking and falling apart. I guess what I'm trying to say is buy a good quality muffler.

Jeep00xj said:
Just get a glass pack such as a cherry bomb it will be a little louder than what you prolly want but only if your getting on the gas, but it will give you great gas mpg. Also the are not as easy to drag off because they are round and don’t have any edges to catch on rocks and if do drag them on a rock or two it will do little to no damage because the will just slide on what ever surface you are making contact with....also did I mention that they are cheap, and they don’t sound that bad either....

i second that, i got one for 20 bucks, i love the way it sounds and its not too loud. also theyre about a quarter the size of a muffler.

Back