• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick AEM F/IC question (gradon, boostwerks)

h-townxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys so on my jeep right now with my avenger sc I'm using 36lb/hr injectors and 8# boost

Current issue
Seems to be pulling fuel under high load and rpm my afr slowly increases through the rpm no matter what at the top of the scale I can't get lower than 16:1 on my data logs wot pulls. Even with 99 entered into the corresponding cells.

Also I am getting a CEL for o2 sensor high voltage though that's likely from my crappy part throttle tuning.

Question
I only have my front o2 sensor hooked up should I have the rear instead or both.
Also I just realized I never added in my resistor to the one o2 sensor I have wired could this be the problem also?

Could it also be my map voltage map? Or possibly I have a crappy o2 map lol.
If it's my maps that is ok I plan on getting it tuned soon. I just want to have it wired correctly otherwise I will have wasted a 4.5 hour trip to LA area.

Thanks I really appreciate any answers you can give me I'm tired of fighting this thing. Just ready to take it to a professional but they can't tune well if I didn't clamp the map correctly or wire the o2 correctly.

Ok I'll shut my mouth now.

The instructions call for a 1Kohm resistor connected to the o2 sensor before the FIC. I wired a 1.1Kohm resistor to both front and rear, but I have a feeling that the 2nd o2 wire is for a bank2 sensor1 setup(upstream #2), like the 2000+ jeeps/chryslers, so I'm about to disconnect my second o2 to the FIC(downstream/postcat sensor on a 96 obd2), since there is only 1 o2 map and thus assume it affects both in parallel. I've browsed on the aem fic forum and haven't found any info on the 2nd o2. With the 1.1K in there, my target afr went down to 14.2:1 instead of 14.7:1 with the o2 map unchanged/set to 0(you can +/- the o2 map and bring it back up). I'm not sure how Bryson has his 2nd o2 setup. 96 is slightly different wiring, but I verified that the 97-99s have the same pinouts so you can look up Bryson's pinout he posted here in the street forum a couple months ago: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1052551&page=3

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. Ya I think hooking up the resistors and the rear o2 should help. After I do that I figure if I can't get it perfect it didn't matter since I'm going to pay someone else to do it anyways lol.

So I have had two codes that have kept the CEL on: p1491 and p0138. p1491, Aux Emissions Control, is due to my grounding out the e-fan relay w/o the pcm's instruction to run it whenever I want. I finally fixed that last week by adding a 2nd relay to the 2nd blank spot in my PDC(the first one is for the 2nd e-fan, triggered by the 1st one turning on)--thanks Fyrftr(I haven't cared bout it for a long while since I accomplished the override in the first place, but it works on a 96). And today I addressed the p0138, b1s2 voltage high(downstream o2), by replacing the o2 sensor. Anyhow, since I have the downstream o2 wired to the AEM, with my laptop connected to the FIC, I was able to see that yes, the voltage was a steady 3.71V on the 2nd o2, thus high(probably the output wire shorted to the heater wire). After the replacement(Bosch of course), it was cycling b/t .05-.91V(where it's supposed to be swinging). Now I need to weld a section of the exhaust(leak) and then I can get my Jeep to pass the 30-sec OBD-2 scan check that makes it legal for the next 2 years.

I'll have to check if my voltage is doing the same though I can smell I'm rich at idle and part throttle real rich lol. So that could still be part of t I'm going to wire up the 2nd O2 and the resistor on Sunday as well as drop back down to my 26lb injectors from the 36lb and see if I can get better starts and smoother tuning with the smaller injectors. Well have to see it's gonna be a project lol. Glad you've found some stuff out though hopefully I can figure out if that's the problem on mine too.

gradon,

what about the 2000, 2001 pinouts, I checked brysons pinouts against my FSM pinout location and they all match except for one point:

connector C1: black top ( bryson calls it "A" ) , pinout 6 for him is ground while in my FSM it is ground for 2.5 M/T only.

what about my 4.0 M/T?, there is an additional ground in the FSM , connection 31, can I use that?

They are doing it looking at the connector side, but do verify the colors that they give for the wires, just in case you get confused. There are also tiny numbers on each connector on the wire side(back side).

can you share your pinout wiring ? would be really helpful if you can, the jeep pinout and their corresponding FIC connection,
also, what would be a good OBDII scanner that I can use to monitor fuel trims and other sensor/ error functions in the jeep?

The o2 is in the Fsm and has numbers for the pins and wire color plus your connectors on the ecu have numbers embossed on them to go off of. I did not have a chance to resolve my issue I ended up having to work today so tomarrow hopefully

got it,

however i'm interested in some details on your supercharged setup, as I'm planning a forced induction setup for mine as well ( low boost 6 to 8 psi max). I assume this is a twin screw supercharger if so:

I would be grateful if you comment on these questions

- what psi are you running at.?

- does it fit under the stock hood? it seems to me there is minimal vertical clearance, photos of your engine bay would definitively help. did you re-route/ re-loacte any components

- did you need an intercooler? i am quite picture how to install an intercooler on a roots/ twin screw blower. you did relocate the throttle of course?

Mine is actually on a tj I have 2 xj's Whig is why I'm on this forum plus I get better answers here than on other forums and thy all relate.
My set up would not fit under a stock xj hood. The only way I could see it fitting is to remove the intercooler that is beneath the supercharger and either run one before the supercharger or run a water/methanol setup to reduce temps. Problem with the second of the 2 is you'd need a big resiviour tank set up for a daily driver.

Hesco had a setup that fit very well. Here's a link to a hesco install on a zj it's the same kit as the xj http://www.nagca.com/grandtech/supercharger.htm

Mine is the avenger set up. Required a 1" body lift on my tj. heres some pics. I have more at the house I'm on my phone at the moment.
7f1ae906.jpg

Intercooler
8f2f3b81.jpg

My set up is 8lbs using the kennebell steel pulleys I've rebuilt it with sealed bearings
Swapped the heat exchanger for and aluminum 3" thick one. Running an icebox for sand drags. For fuel management I'm running the aem fic with my own crappy tune hopefully in October take it to Bisimoto engineering in socal for a professional tune.

My idea for mOunting my setup on an xj was to actually lose the intercooler that is after the supercharger and run a water to air setup before the sc with a kit from here www.frozenboost.com but even then it still may not fit. If that's the case I'm not quite sure.

nice work !,a tech question, since your throttle should be before the supercharger, that means the jeep's MAP is still seeing vacum to atmospheric, correct?

if so you would only to tune in the FIC through the 02 and fuel map? am i getting this right?

let me know your updates and how you fixed your fuelling and cel issue, i might end up running a used eaton M90 if i can fit it in under the hood. lots of guys here recommended pulling one off a GM 3.8

For 2000 & 2001:
BLACK PCM CONNECTOR=A
A2(DB/WT)=FUSED IGNITION SWITCH OUTPUT(SWITCHED 12V)
A4(BR/YL)=SENSOR GROUND(CONNECTED TO SIGNAL GROUND)
A8(GY/BK)=CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR(HALL)
A18(TN/YL)=CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR(HALL)
A22(DG/BK)=FUSED B+(CONSTANT 12V)
A23(OR/DB)=THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR
A24(BK/DG)=OXYGEN SENSOR 1/1 SIGNAL(BANK 1/SENSOR 1: UPSTREAM)
A25(TN/WT)=OXYGEN SENSOR 1/2 SIGNAL(BANK 1/SENSOR 2: DOWNSTREAM)
A26(LG/RD)=OXYGEN SENSOR 2/1 SIGNAL(BANK 2/SENSOR 1: UPSTREAM) *ON CALI/BUILT-UP EXPORT MODELS*
A27(DG/RD)=MANIFOLD ABSOLUTE PRESSURE SENSOR
A29(TN)=OXYGEN SENSOR 2/2 SIGNAL(BANK 2/SENSOR 2: DOWNSTREAM) *ON CALI/BUILT-UP EXPORT MODELS*
A31(BK/TN)=GROUND
A32(BK/TN)=GROUND

WHITE PCM CONNECTOR=B
B4(WT/DB)=INJECTOR 1
B5(YL/WT)=INJECTOR 3
B6(PK/BK)=INJECTOR 5
B12(LG/BK)=INJECTOR 6
B15(TN)=INJECTOR 2
B16(LB/BR)=INJECTOR 4

Last edited:
Back