• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question on how to flat tow a XJ....HELP PLEASE

What's Next?

NAXJA Forum User
I was just wondering what is needed to flat tow a XJ behind a motorhome. I know the obvious, tow bar, mounting brackets, wiring up lights. But I really want to know is do you put the transfer case in Neutruel and trans in neutruel? Do you need to disconnect drive shafts? What needs to be done? Thanks Justin

Keep the transmission in Park and Transfer case in N, also make sure to keep a key in the ignition so the steering wheel will turn.
x2, first click just to unlock the sterring wheel, don't leave it in the on position unless you enjoy dead batteries. :D

I found on mine when i am pulling up to the motorhome to put the T-Case in N and then put the JEEP in Park.. The JEEP will roll FREE this way.SET the PARKING BRAKE when you are installing the tow bar.Then you are good to release the e brake and as they said above with the steering, so it is able to turn.

Good luck

Make sure the front and rear output shafts don't lock together when the transfer case is in neutral. If they do you will have to pull the front driveline when you flat tow it OR replace the internal shift guide with one that does not lock the front and rear output shafts in neutral.

Make sure the front and rear output shafts don't lock together when the transfer case is in neutral. If they do you will have to pull the front driveline when you flat tow it OR replace the internal shift guide with one that does not lock the front and rear output shafts in neutral.

Is this on NEWER years, mine is a 89 and the wifes is a 94.Both have auto but t-cases aren't the same.

Is this on NEWER years, mine is a 89 and the wifes is a 94.Both have auto but t-cases aren't the same.

Seems that the newer NP231 transfer cases are not locking the drivelines when in neutral.

I think my 1994 did lock them together but I have an older TC from Cal's old '88 and it does not lock the drivelines together. go figure.

Seems that the newer NP231 transfer cases are not locking the drivelines when in neutral.

I think my 1994 did lock them together but I have an older TC from Cal's old '88 and it does not lock the drivelines together. go figure.

Never trust anything of Cal's to be correct...

My '89 231 locks them together in neutral, it is my understanding that this was changed in later years to be a true neutral but I have not verified that.

242s will always have a true neutral.

My 88 with 231 we towed all over the country without issues. Not sure if it was locking or not though. The factory manual said to just pull the T case lever to N and put the key in.

My 88 with 231 we towed all over the country without issues. Not sure if it was locking or not though. The factory manual said to just pull the T case lever to N and put the key in.

You would have known it was locked. The chain in the transfer case would have been popping and making lots of noise.

Ditto on making sure the transmission (automatic) is in Park, no matter what you have to do to the T-case or driveshafts. A friend of my son's flat-towed a ZJ with the trans in neutral, and smoked the trans.

The reason being is nearly all newer (after about 1970) auto transmissions have their pump in the front of the trans. If the trans is in neutral, the pump won't turn, but the internals will.

I know the 231 transfer case has its pump in the rear, so no problems with it in neutral, other than what has been discussed above regarding the output shafts.

On the positive side, my son picked up the ZJ form his friend for $500, threw in a trans, 3" of lift and tires, and sold it for $2400.

David Bricker / SYR

that t-case came from MJR and was probably upgraded.

Back