• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question for the Chapter

shelbyluvv

NAXJA Forum User
What can we do as a Chapter to make this place great again?

I miss the old days. What changed? It is not just here but the board as a whole is just dead.

Now let's dig into what I think the issue is. Facebook, plain and simple. My stupid ass KL thread blew up and has been active while the forum has been dead. Why? Why are we letting this happen? Why are we watching our club die a slow death? We need to fix this. Why are we entertaining people on FB instead of sending them here? Giving them free tech while they give nothing back to the club. How many of those "members" have been to a M&G or a wrench party?

Something needs to change. I don't want to hear social media is the way of the future. bullshit, Comanche club is thriving and they have a FB page. We don't entertain people on there and they are forced to use the forums. The same can be done here.

They say you can't complain if you don't offer a solution so...

Make the stupid FB a re-direct to the chapter. If we don't stroke them they will return to the club.

TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE NAXJA GREAT AGAIN!

Now let's dig into what I think the issue is. Facebook, plain and simple.

Yup. That would be my guess, although, I don't have an FB account.

Yes facebook, but not because its facebook.

The club has always ebbed and flowed as a chunk of active members moved on or grew tired of drama, and new guys came in and took their place as the young and active.

As people moved on, a new crowd didn't need to come in and find peers, because they already found them somewhere else. FB didn't take anything away, it just severely cut down on the number of people who came in.

It doesn't help that we're running a 7 year old version of the VBulletin software with no features, upgrades, or chat. Technologically speaking, we're worse off than we have ever been.

Also, many of the people who really contributed to make this club great have moved on to newer and better vehicles - JK's, Tacoma's, FJ's, KL's, etc.

We need to start doing meet and greets again. Start having runs, BBQ's, build days, etc. But the people who used to care enough to do that have burned out and moved on.

I for one, find the bulk of the comments on FB being simply drama. Your recent FB post regarding the KL is a fine example of that. It may lower the number of posts on NAXJA, but I'd rather have quality instead of quantity.

The amount of drama on NAXJA has significantly reduced as the FB usage has gone up. NAXJA forums remain the preeminent place to find actual, valid and searchable tech. Try to search for tech on FB. Even if you find it, you have to sift through 10 posts of wrong info for every post of correct info. On NAXJA, it's maybe one post of wrong info to 10 posts of correct.

So, is NAXJA really dying? I'm not convinced. The numbers are going down, no question. We certainly have different players than 5 years ago. But we still do attract new members. The more FB draws the drama away from NAXJA, the happier I am.

Now, I do agree, a suggestion could be that if someone sees a tech question on FB, then try and find a link to direct them back into NAXJA for the answer. That could drive the tech to NAXJA, and leave the drama on FB.

David Bricker / SYR

We need to start doing meet and greets again. Start having runs, BBQ's, build days, etc. But the people who used to care enough to do that have burned out and moved on.

Those are the key points. It's a lot of thankless work to build a group of wheelers into a community.
Facebook doesn't require any commitment. People join and like by clicking a button and that's where most of it ends. 99% of the tech is pure crap because people can nearly anonymously throw garbage online.
I think you have to offer something Facebook doesn't in order to do well. $.02

What's facebook?

I tried to explain this to you once before, it used by people that don't spend enough time with their dog(s).

Back to the main point, if anyone wants to visit me this weekend and help me lift my 242 up to the back of the transmission, I will provide you with a slice or 2 of pizza and a bottle or 2 of beer. If you help with that and then help me clean the garage, it's all the pizza you can eat and all the beer you can drink (you can camp in the backyard until you are sober).

Late notice on a holiday weekend, but my wife already said ok to it.

I tried to explain this to you once before, it used by people that don't spend enough time with their dog(s).

Looky there. I knew my German Shepherd was saving me from something evil. :greensmok

A better app.

most web traffic these days is smartphone based. facebook is easy to use.

tapatalk is the best thing we have going, and its can be difficult to deal with.

I finally gave up on tapatalk, it was way too irritating to try to figure out what it was doing and why what I did the day before doesn't work anymore.

More Wheeling! I find myself going to other pages and forums looking for good groups to wheel with. I had a great time a SoCal fest but 1 event a year is not enough to keep interest. We live in ground zero of some of the best off roading in the nation and nobody here uses it.

Go on the AAT maintenance runs, you can always go wheeling Saturday and join the clean-up Sunday or vise-versa.

Set up a run. If you give enough people time they might be able to join you.

I'm out in the dirt monthly and it's always posted here.

No BBQ/Build parties at my joint. Everybody who comes to my place just ends up bitching about the distance from the freeway. :eyes:

I'm sure nobody wants to come to 29 Palms for a wrench party either.

We could have a M&G at my house. It's about the same distance for everyone. I have a nice big backyard, and 30 acres of woods to cut trails through. Plus a beer cellar.

David Bricker / SYR

But do you validate parking?

Plenty of on-site free parking. Valet service available for a small gratuity.
And no, I won't validate parking at LAX.

David Bricker / SYR

Back