• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question for LEO's on gun laws in vehicle

stockli

NAXJA Forum User
I am going off camping again this weekend and was wondering if you kind LEO's could enlighten me on the rules concerning the transport of handguns in a vehicle.

I have heard many different stories from so called "experts" but figured I would get the skinny from actual LEO's.

From what I understand, in this state your vehicle is considered the same as your home? is that correct?

Can the weapon be in a console mounted holster with ammo in the mag? (I had seen and liked the idea, either on NAXJA or some other cherokee site)

Is open carry considered the weapon being in plain sight within a vehicle?

What would be considered concealment?

Now I dont usually haul a firearm around me, but going off into the woods with just me and my girl justifies me carrying, IMO.

I appreciate the help!

From http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/colorado.pdf:

18-12-204. Permit Contents - Validity - Carrying Requirements.
(3) (a) a person who may lawfully possess a handgun may carry a handgun under the following
circumstances without obtaining a permit and the handgun shall not be considered concealed:
(I) the handgun is in the possession of a person who is in a private automobile or in some other private
means of conveyance and who carries the handgun for a legal use, including self-defense.

33-6-125. Possession Of A Loaded Firearm In A Motor Vehicle.
It is unlawful for any person, except a person authorized by law or by the division, to possess or have under
his control any firearm, other than a pistol or revolver, in or on any motor vehicle unless the chamber of
such firearm is unloaded. Any person in possession or in control of a rifle or shotgun in a motor vehicle shall
allow any peace officer, as defined in section 33-1-102 (32), who is empowered and acting under the
authority granted in section 33-6-101 to enforce articles 1 to 6 of this title to inspect the chamber of any rifle
or shotgun in the motor vehicle. For the purposes of this section, a "muzzle-loader" shall be considered
unloaded if it is not primed, and, for such purpose, "primed" means having a percussion cap on the nipple or
flint in the striker and powder in the flash pan. Any person who violates this section is guilty of a
misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by a fine of fifty dollars and an assessment of
fifteen license suspension points.

So yes, loaded handgun in the vehicle is ok, concealed or not. Any long gun must be carried without a round chambered.

Thanks for the reply. I am not good at reading statutes the legaleze makes me crazy!

Here is one for you. At what age can you legally posses a handgun? If you legally posses it, you should be able to legally open carry it outside off Denver county correct? Stinks I am paid to carry at work (airforce) but then am unable to arm up as a civilian.

in your case 18 for long guns and 21 for handguns.owned by you,carried by you.
now with friends shooting. you can use theirs and shoot and all that. although I doubt you can borrow a handgun and carry it without the owner with you. if over 21 it would be different.

in your case 18 for long guns and 21 for handguns.owned by you,carried by you.
now with friends shooting. you can use theirs and shoot and all that. although I doubt you can borrow a handgun and carry it without the owner with you. if over 21 it would be different.
21 to purchase a handgun, 18 to possess.

Back