• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question about kilby's oba setup

joshbish

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have this setup? I am almost done with it, but I've run into a dilema. My york clutch looks like it's going to be too close to the fan (yes I've read the other posts about this). I've even spaced the fan about 1/4" forward. About another 1/4" would do fine, but the problem is that I don't have any more stud left on the fan pulley. I put nuts between the fan and the pulley which gave me my 1/4". It looks like I'll have enough room between the fan and the radiator so I'm not worried about that, I just need to know how to space the fan foward a bit more. Any ideas?

Hope this helps. The kilby setup is one of the best OBA systems out there. If you have something special that you are concerned out fitting...i would suggest you give thema call and they will help for sure.. i know tons of guys that have their OBA on all types of vehicles. Later...Clint

Go get yourself a regular fan spacer. I've got the same Kilby brackets on mine & spaced the fan forward. I replaced the studs with bolts. You might want to think about upgrading motor mounts when doing this. The stock mounts allow the motor to move around quite a bit & I ended up putting my fan through the radiator coming down off a ledge in Moab.

Matt

FarmerMatt said:
Go get yourself a regular fan spacer. I've got the same Kilby brackets on mine & spaced the fan forward. I replaced the studs with bolts. You might want to think about upgrading motor mounts when doing this. The stock mounts allow the motor to move around quite a bit & I ended up putting my fan through the radiator coming down off a ledge in Moab.

Matt

Where would I find a fan spacer? -- I didn't know there was such a thing. How do I remove the studs? -- or is this self explanatory after I get the fan spacer?

joshbish said:
Now, how do I replace the studs with bolts?
Just screw two nuts on the stud (not all the way down). Now tighten them against each other, creating a lock nut situation. Put the wrench on the inside nut and the stud should turn right out.

If you've read all the old threads, then you know that I tried the Kilby bracket on my '98 and ended up sending it back. I ran into the same situation as you but I didn't feel that I had enough room to space the fan forward. Seems to me that the center of the fan is the closest thing to the radiator, so make sure you reach your hand in there and check clearance at that point. I did look for spacers and the one you found looks like a well made unit that I would use if I was ok with the clearance. I ended up replacing the V belt clutch with a new serpentine unit for about $75. I then built my own bracketry (based on the Kilby mount) to mount the pulley in line with the stock serpentine belt. I did add a small idler pulley to get more belt contact on the two compressors...stock ac and York. It's been working great. I also recommend some motor mounts that hold the motor in place better. I'm using some rawbrown mounts that seem to hold the motor quite steady, but have increased motor vibes into the cabin some. I'm guessing about the same as the rubber MORE units since these are also rubber. I had a bad drivers side mount and the engine apparently moved over two inches to allow the York pulley to contact one of the air conditioning lines on my '98! Hasn't been a problem since the installation of the Rawbrown mounts. If you haven't looked at http://www.madxj.com, there is some good inf. there. Jeff

Jeff 98XJ WI said:
If you've read all the old threads, then you know that I tried the Kilby bracket on my '98 and ended up sending it back. I ran into the same situation as you but I didn't feel that I had enough room to space the fan forward. Seems to me that the center of the fan is the closest thing to the radiator, so make sure you reach your hand in there and check clearance at that point. I did look for spacers and the one you found looks like a well made unit that I would use if I was ok with the clearance. I ended up replacing the V belt clutch with a new serpentine unit for about $75. I then built my own bracketry (based on the Kilby mount) to mount the pulley in line with the stock serpentine belt. I did add a small idler pulley to get more belt contact on the two compressors...stock ac and York. It's been working great. I also recommend some motor mounts that hold the motor in place better. I'm using some rawbrown mounts that seem to hold the motor quite steady, but have increased motor vibes into the cabin some. I'm guessing about the same as the rubber MORE units since these are also rubber. I had a bad drivers side mount and the engine apparently moved over two inches to allow the York pulley to contact one of the air conditioning lines on my '98! Hasn't been a problem since the installation of the Rawbrown mounts. If you haven't looked at http://www.madxj.com, there is some good inf. there. Jeff

Yeah, I read your tech on it several times debating whether or not I should send the Kilby bracket back ... I think it will be fine with the new motor mounts. When you switched out the clutches on your York, how did you get it back on there? I figured out how to get the old one off with a big bolt and an impact. Do I just hammer it on there and wala? Or is there some special tool that presses it in place? I got my York from a semi, but the clutch was serp, so I found a v-groove on ebay.

On my York, it had a tapered shaft with a KEY. I simply slid the new clutch in place and snugged down the bolt on the end of the shaft. Andreas article on the madxj site had a link to a service manual for the York I think. Jeff

Back