• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question about cutting fenders

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
so i just pulled the stock fender flares off the front of my XJ planning on cutting them so the 32s i just put on dont rub as much but im not sure what to do with the rubber that sits under the fender. im guessing its some sort of mud gaurd..

do i need it or can i just take it right out?

You don't really need it but it helps. I took mine out because it wasn't rubber anymore. Now when I open my door a little bit of dust/ dirt falls from the top that got thrown up there by the tires.

Go ahead and rip it out if you want

I have heard of people cutting pool noodles and stuffing them in by the door. I didn't do this but I have thought about it.

I cut my fenders last year and removed the inner rubber liner. Enough water got in my doors to ruin my speakers (corroded leads and rubber surrounds were soaked). I dont mud or any of that, it was just from road water getting in there. I went to lowes and got on 6' stick of 2" pipe insulater (pool noodle) and cut it to fit and shoved it inside the fender as far as I could. You can't see it at all and it keeps all the water out.

You're fine without it. If you want run to NAPA or wherever and by some rubberized spray on bed liner for the inner fenderwell.

A funnoodle stuffed in the fender will keep mud out of your door jams and if you run doorless like I do it'll keep it off your face.... for the most part. Also slows corrosion by keeping it out of those hard to reach parts :laugh3:

You're fine without it. If you want run to NAPA or wherever and by some rubberized spray on bed liner for the inner fenderwell.

A funnoodle stuffed in the fender will keep mud out of your door jams and if you run doorless like I do it'll keep it off your face.... for the most part. Also slows corrosion by keeping it out of those hard to reach parts :laugh3:
thats what i did works well !! (just noticed i missed some spots) :patriot:
th_002.jpg
th_003.jpg
th_010.jpg

Back