• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about '96 Grand

heyjpark1

NAXJA Forum User
Got a '96 Grand Cherokee with the 5.2 in it for a good price. The owner tells me the VC in it has been replaced, but when I turn the wheel hard I can feel wheel hop like its in 4wd. I've been told that it could just be U-joints that cause that (apparently some ZJs came with CV joints up front) and the putting CV joints on will cure it.

Sound right to anyone? It needs a new tranny, and I'm wondering if I should just hook up a 231 t-case or maybe a 242 t-case.

sounds like one of 2 things. if it has a limited slip diff, it may need to be serviced. or inside the transfer case is a viscous coupling that allows for slippage whan turning, since this is all wheel drive. if the viscous is bad it may need to be replaced. you may want to go to the dealer and get 249/247 traansfer case fluid and change the fluid in the transfer case first, and drive it around for a few days or so and see if this doesn't improve first

Back