• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quadratec HD leaf install tips - Jeep is in the air...soaking in the PB

I hope you coated the bolts with anti-sieze it will come apart like new in 5 years. 6 months ago I put in Dorman springs and with lots of weight still about 1 inch over stock.

Ron

Yeah... just had to buy a new anti-seize bottle. Had this 1 for about 3 yrs now for other vehicles. Thanks Ron for the encouragement.

I stayed up till 6:00am last night and got everything put back together. I didn't take too many pictures in the home stretch, but I'll post up a final result.

List of some of the problems:
Broke 5 bolts -drilled and retapped 5 bolts (4 rear bumpstop, 1 upper shock mount)
Leaf bolts wouldn't budge - cut and folded to gain access to upper shackle mount. used propane torch/impact/PB blaster/cheater bar multiple times to break loose
Front leaf springs wouldn't go in without a fight - used a spring compressor and removed shocks, 1 body side lower control arm, and sway bar
U-bolts stripped - turns out the u-bolts were too short and were cheaply made, shipped with split lock washers. this combo causes a u-bolt to strip with very little torque. had to make a last minute trip to Napa (correct size for HD springs with plenty to spare is 3" between the legs, 1/2" diameter, 8" long). this was a little long for this application but I'd rather be too long than too short.

...there were lots more but those were the most memorable.

You know... I read your thread on drilling and using the PB blaster but I was too lazy to appreciate it before I went through all the problems. I was trying to recall that trick if I needed to use it. I was thinking I could actually drill through the leaf spring after using a 4.5" angle grinder to cut as near the leaf eye as I could. Then drill a small hole into the leaf spring and oil directly into the sleeve. I think I saw that on a thread somewhere. I imagine the leaf spring is pretty hard metal though, so that could chew through some bits...or take a long time...or both.

And if anyone doesn't use a drill doctor, I highly recommend one. It saved a lot of forearm ache having sharp bits every hole.

In hindsight I could have done a lot of things to make the job go easier, but I'm glad it's done now. Felt like this most of this week :banghead:

Back