• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Q: Is this a police package dash?

Hammered

NAXJA Forum User
Was this only for Police issued XJs? I never saw anything like it, Kinda cool.

e041_12.JPG

Nope, came on my SE. It's the generic, bottom base line cluster. Totally sucks though, because the lights only come on when you're already F'ed.

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see anything special about that idiot light dash. Except the full tank as nw-xj-scott pointed out.

dreher said:
real clean but I enjoy the having a tack

And oil pressure, voltage, and thermostat gages. As out of wack as they can be, it's still better than dummy lights...

Yeah what's up with idiot light clusters, they suck. Unless you don't pay attention to your gauges anyway, until steam is billowing out from under the hood through the grille.

5-90 said:
The Police XJ speedos were calibrated to 140MPH, IIRC.
and they should say something like "certified" near the speedo too. That way they can legally "pace" you to determine if you are speeding or not. Never knew they went to 140 though!

XJ Eric said:
and they should say something like "certified" near the speedo too. That way they can legally "pace" you to determine if you are speeding or not. Never knew they went to 140 though!
I think (may be wrong as so often happens....) that the speedo is designed so that the expected speed range falls near to the middle, for accuracy. Most gauges that use a spring, as these speedos still do, lose accuracy at the extremes. So a 140 mph speedo puts 70 in the middle instead of 50, and you're still in the middle range at 90.

Yeah dummy lights are well, dumb...I took my fathers 99 se to South Carolina for a few weeks and when I got back into my jeep I felt like a pilot with all my guages to look at!...but seriously i don't know how a 4x4 would'nt have a temp/oil guage. and on top of that a damn donut tire!! What if you got a flat wheeling? you cant be in 4 wheel with a DAMN DONUT!!

KarlVP said:
It isn't hard to swap in the gauges cluster.

Search here and you can find some writeups on the process.
You can easily swap into a normal cluster however, I believe it's illegal if you do it yourself, it has something to do with odometer fraud....you can have it legally set at a dealership from what I hear.

jeepman121 said:
You can easily swap into a normal cluster however, I believe it's illegal if you do it yourself, it has something to do with odometer fraud....you can have it legally set at a dealership from what I hear.

Check your state's vehicle code - usually, it's legal to swap the cluster if you note A) the original odo mileage at the time of the swap, and B) the mileage reading on the new odo after it's installed. That allows the new owner to calculate the actual mileage of the vehicle.

It's similar to the "Mileage exceeds mechanical limits of the odometer" on most transfer paperwork (viz - you rolled over the odometer driving it around.)

It's when you reset the odometer that you can run into trouble...

All you need to do in most states when you change your instrument panel is fill out an Odometer Disclosure and keep it in the in a safe place, included with most of these is a sticker that goes on the door panel that states the milegage of the old cluster and new cluster....

SO yes, you can change clusters, it just takes some paperwork.....

poorboy_616 said:
All you need to do in most states when you change your instrument panel is fill out an Odometer Disclosure and keep it in the in a safe place, included with most of these is a sticker that goes on the door panel that states the milegage of the old cluster and new cluster....

SO yes, you can change clusters, it just takes some paperwork.....

And we have a winner!!!! :worship:

:cheers:

Ask me how I know.....

I did it with my old Mazda Pickup when it's cluster went nipples up. Take literraly justa few minutes to do... Just be sure to tell the new owner (when it's sold) that the Odometer is not the correct reading and they should go by the door panel sticker...

Back