• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Putting in a Dana 300

So just an update from my end.

my shifter won't shift if it's bound up at all. literally you have to put the trans in neutral, 231 planetary box in neutral and bang the heck out of it to get it to shift while rocking back and forth, and doing the hokey pokey.

Are my shifter detent springs too stiff? do I need to rebuild my d300. anyways it's almost useless. I just leave it in low and shift the range box from high to low if I need double low range.

Did it act like that from day one? Either way, it's not the detent springs. Those provide minimal resistance and serve more as a way to let the end user know where which gear is. Does it give you a hard time on flat ground when in neutral too? It's likely that the gears on the output shafts are not lining up. When everything is in neutral, the gears aren't going to move either. On flat ground (like a parking lot or something where it's easy to push it) Try putting everything back in neutral, push the vehicle forward or back slowly while putting pressure on the shift lever. It should slip right into gear. If it doesn't, you have other issues. The reason shaking the jeep works is that it spins the driveshafts a little bit with respect to the Tcase. Good luck getting it solved.

Last edited:
occasionally mine is hard to shift...but i think its mainly how i did my shift rails. i need to put in the stiffer detent springs because ive had it pop out of gear a few times.

the thing that will solve it costs $1500 and has 5 letters in its name.

I just want to be able to do digs under load :D

I'm going to try to fab up some mechanical linkage this weekend and see if that helps.

A-T-L-A-S

for under 2k it really is a good deal compared to what you could have in a built 300 ;)

Atlas's don't always shift nicely, either. My 300 shifts better than just about any case I've ever dealt with, including Atlas and STaK.

If I'm doing a front dig, somehow it lets me knock the rear in when under power and get moving forward again without letting up on the throttle. :gag:

my 300 has two different detent springs. is that right or did some bozo in the past swap one out?
i have a d&d 231 doubler kit on the heep with the 300 flipped. i am thinking about machining the shift rail thingie to have 2 or 3 seals to try & hold the oil in better.

nice build. i hope to do something simular to this soon. i hear using a lowrange box made from a 231 puts the outputs close to stock location

Gravesdiggerxj - did you end up staying with the 3000GT shifter or did you go with something else? Also could you re-post your pictures since they don't seem to be working???

Thanks

old pics
9da7f4c0.jpg

I didn't keep the 3000GT one.

I picked up the Northwest Fab triple stick cable shifter.
It was very expensive, but in needed to have a shifter asap for my Winter on the Rocks trip and it shipped quickly. All said and done however I paid nearly $400 with shipping. Fit and finish on their product is second to none and the mechanism is nearly flawless.

It shifts extremely well and I've had it in since I was in St. George for Winter on the Rocks so I've had it in for about a month. I fooled around doing digs all day on Saturday to get the hang of it. I can, like Vetteboy, pull the rear into gear while I'm on the throttle. It is still very difficult to shift under load and without a clutch to roll back a bit I'm sure it would be worse.

IMG_20110215_160100.jpg

bracket. I had to cut off below the red line because of how my transfer case is clocked.
5-1.jpg

I haven't quite worked out the third stick for the crawlbox portion because their bracket was designed for the black box so It will take a bit of fabing to fit up the bracket to a 231 since there is webbing in the way of the bracketry

BlackBoxShifter005.jpg

BlackBoxShifter003.jpg

just for reference here is how JB fab does their shifter brackets
p8200039w.jpg

I'll sell the 3000GT shifter for a good deal though.

Last edited:
Back