• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulled my carpet and now I have a rough idle

you have a miss? and didnt check the plugs/wires/cap/rotor? could be as simple as a loose plug wire, but check each plug as it may tell you which cylinder is missing/missfire.

you have a miss? and didnt check the plugs/wires/cap/rotor? could be as simple as a loose plug wire, but check each plug as it may tell you which cylinder is missing/missfire.

I changed rotor and cap, also checked for spark at all wires, checked all connections, etc. wires are only 1 yr old.

Finally came out of denial and did compression test. All cylinders with 175-180 psi. Except... cylinder 1, at 150 psi. So tonight its pull the valve cover night and see whats up underneath. Maybe a head gasket (only 25k?) or valve seal, or the dreaded cam failure? Engine has never overheated since rebuild (full rebuild), and has rarely if ever gone over 210 deg on the temp gauge (running a 180 deg thermostat).

Also got a misfire code (43) this AM when testing a few things out.

Also, spark plugs all looked the same, and I think ok based on my limited ability to read spark plugs. They looked like the normal one in the back of the Haynes manual.

Just checked #1 intake and exhaust lift at the cam - checks out right in spec for my cam (used a dial gauge on the end of the pushrod, rotated crank).

So it is most likely the head gasket at this point, right?

If you get a scanner to pull the DTC code # instead of the jeep 43, it will indicate which cylinder the misfire occurred in. I think Autozone used to do it for free but that may not be the case anymore.

Doesn't seem like 150 PSI would cause real problems. But it is pretty far off from the other ones. What about a coolant system pressure test to look for the bouncing needle when running?

Back