• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PT Cruiser rear bump stops -Junkyard long-travel bumps?

srimes

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I know the title doesn't sound promising, but stay with me.
I bought a wrecked 2005 PT cruiser to swap the engine into my daily beater, a 2004 neon. Crawled under it and spotted these:

IMG_20120319_193610.jpg

IMG_20120319_193620.jpg

They look like the stock XJ front bumpstops, just much bigger.
I just put in the prothane inserts in the front and have been very happy with them. Need something for the rears and was planning on something like CrazyJim used to run, but these looked promising.

Pulled it out:

IMG_20120319_193333.jpg

And stuck it in the tester at work:

Start:

IMG_20120319_083724.jpg

2 inches:

IMG_20120319_084032.jpg

2.5 inches:

IMG_20120319_084133.jpg

3 inches:

IMG_20120319_084248.jpg

Results.

Force vs Travel:

bumpstoptest.jpg

The dips are where we stopped to take pictures.

Force and Travel vs. Time:

bumpstoptest2.jpg

Looks usable to me, especially for the price (free for me)!

What do y'all make of it? I haven't seen this style of long-travel bumpstops on stock vehicles before, but it makes me want to check out others.

Interesting,..

How were you thinking of mounting it? Cut the pocket of the PT frame and weld or bolt it to the XJ lined up over the axle or spring plate?

Interesting,..

How were you thinking of mounting it? Cut the pocket of the PT frame and weld or bolt it to the XJ lined up over the axle or spring plate?

Yeah the pocket is part of the shock mount. It'd be easy to unbolt it and cut off the pocket part and use it like the daystars.

I run the same bumpstops on the rear of my MJ. I believe mine came out of the rear of a GMC Envoy or something.

They feel great so far, but I don't have very much seat time in the thing.

IMG_2667.jpg

Is there any chance you could do some testing on other junkyard bumpstops that people have been using?

Like the chevy bumps that mopar suggested, and a stock one for a baseline/comparison. even a prothane would be good knowledge. Theres alot of bumpstops that look big but it would be nice to know the force it takes to fully compress them.

teraflex speed bumps

if you listen to the video they reference a oem jk bumpstop as only handling 1593 lbs. where as a speed bump takes over 5000 lbs of force.

the key to having a plush bumpstop is going to be a soft initial bump that still takes an enormous amount of force before becoming solid.

I run the same bumpstops on the rear of my MJ. I believe mine came out of the rear of a GMC Envoy or something.

Very cool. I was thinking that bigger ones might be out there on minivans or SUVs.

Is there any chance you could do some testing on other junkyard bumpstops that people have been using?
if you listen to the video they reference a oem jk bumpstop as only handling 1593 lbs. where as a speed bump takes over 5000 lbs of force.

the key to having a plush bumpstop is going to be a soft initial bump that still takes an enormous amount of force before becoming solid.

Send me a pair and I'll test them. And if they're good I'll test them on my jeep too :D.

I just put in the prothanes and didn't think to test them first. I was hoping the PT bumps would go up to 2000 lb or so. But they should be just fine on my low-level heep.

That video does a good job of explaining how it's about energy absorbtion. So even though the PT bumps peak about the same as the stock JK ones, the travel is more than double, so it would absorb a lot more energy before bottoming.

I also have shaft bumps, and that's all I have right now in the rear, so when I put in the PT bumps they'll work together to prevent a hard bottom.

Any idea on the year of the Envoy. I was going to look them up on rockauto and see how much they would run new.

S-10 blazers, Trailblazer, GMC Envoy, and I think the GM full size rear bumps are similar.

Back