• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ProtoFab Rock Rails

JNickel101

NAXJA Forum User
http://www.protofab4x4.com/products.php?ID=00&ID2=9

they have a unique mounting system....I like it b/c it looks like I could get them now, and later on, if I decided to get frame stiffeners from TNT, I could mod these rails very easily.

Thoughts? How's the strength of this mounting system. Anyone running them?

Looks like it would be stronger then most setups because it has 3 links to the frame instead of only two.

I like that too - plus I like the way it bolts AROUND the pinch seam, not just to it on one side. The only thing that gets me worried is that the material they use for the box and the tube is like 1/8" walled...not 3/16" like most. Would 1/8" be strong enough?

I have had mine for a year now. They have held up just fine for me. The steel plate on the bottom has dents and scratches in it, but the main structure is still strait as the day I bought them. Good company in my opinion.

$280 + shipping

(its on the left column, I didnt see it at first either - lists the weight too, which is cool)

Wounded XJ said:
I have had mine for a year now. They have held up just fine for me. The steel plate on the bottom has dents and scratches in it, but the main structure is still strait as the day I bought them. Good company in my opinion.

Awesome, thats what I was looking for - some actual user input :) Thanks!

whats the difference between rock rails and frame stiffeners? for some reason i thought they were the same thing

userbmx1315 said:
whats the difference between rock rails and frame stiffeners? for some reason i thought they were the same thing
Stiffeners are unibody reenforcement plates that you weld on like what TnT offers.

certain rock rails will act like frame stiffeners in a way (like detours product)

I hate to revive an old thread, But do any of you guys have a set of the protofab rails in use?
How solid are they?
Are they solid enough to Hi-Lift jack from?

The reason I ask is I really like the look & mounting system of these, but before I purchase I would like to hear from a few guys who have actually run them.
Thanks In advance!!:)

Their mounting system is one of the best out there!

i have a set that i haven't mounted yet-need to get them powdercoated first. however, they are very stout, i would say they should easily support the weight of one side of an xj.

We need to get some real world pics, I would like to see some more shots other than the ones on the site.
What more do you want? Mine are mounted almost the same way.Ive dropped all the side weight possible on them. I can put a Hi-lift anywhere along the length of the slider and pick-up the entire side/end with zero flex!
xrockerguard03.jpg

Last edited:
Mine have taken alot of abuse and have one dimple. I had to modify the pinch seam mount to accomodate the RE belly pan but that was a piece of cake. Great setup.

Thanks, Exactly what I wanted to hear, I am placing the order today!

What more do you want? Mine are mounted almost the same way.Ive dropped all the side weight possible on them. I can put a Hi-lift anywhere along the length of the slider and pick-up the entire side/end with zero flex!
xrockerguard03.jpg

I like that too - plus I like the way it bolts AROUND the pinch seam, not just to it on one side. The only thing that gets me worried is that the material they use for the box and the tube is like 1/8" walled...not 3/16" like most. Would 1/8" be strong enough?

The mounting system looks awesome and I'm sure is very strong. I dunno about the 1/8" tubing though. My AJs rails are 3/16" and the outer rail has a 1/2" deep dent on it from coming down on a rock. Would 1/8" tubing have been strong enough against a hit like that?

The mounting system looks awesome and I'm sure is very strong. I dunno about the 1/8" tubing though. My AJs rails are 3/16" and the outer rail has a 1/2" deep dent on it from coming down on a rock. Would 1/8" tubing have been strong enough against a hit like that?

With the way the plate is welded to the bottom of the tube it could probably take a good hit, But for my purposes the 1/8 tubing should be fine, I just want to add jacking points to the sides of the vehicle & add a little strength to the sides incase of any mishaps.
I have no rocks to play in in my location, just lots of very soft sand & snow when I head to the Upstate home!
I Just placed the order!!

^^ I hear ya. I feel sorry for anyone who tries to door ding me in a parking lot or hit me from the side. Those rails aren't going anywhere.

How much are those rails anyway?

Back