• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PROTHANE FRONT BUMPSTOP WRITEUP

Yea I had all the same concerns, but I needed something for the day. For the whoops. They worked and made it back home still attached.
Waiting on 4.5" progressive bumps in the mail.

I laughed too after I made it. But it worked good for a day on the trail. Just whoops and camel humps. No flexing, that would probably knock them off or just deflect.

yeah....I was thinking the same.

Easy to work pins to hold it to tubing. But after spending a little time looking at what I have to work with I dont see them working, so I ordered regular style bumps from Poly .

Easy to work pins to hold it to tubing. But after spending a little time looking at what I have to work with I dont see them working, so I ordered regular style bumps from Poly .
I ordered Daystar progressive. Some folks use extended leaf plates to set up bumps. I do not have that much room so I was thinking leaf perches on axle where bump will contact and can be shimmed to correct height with UHMW or hocky puck.

cud7.jpg
[/URL]

osfb.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
Got my prothanes today I ordered the 8 ring set. Now I just have to decide how much of it ill use.im going to hate myself if I go bigger than a 4" lift after I fit these

Just make sure to make some kind of landing pad/anti-spear plate to prevent them from getting impaled on the stock bump stop tower. I was in a rush last month and didn't build a set of landing pad before a race and one side is now stuck. So I get to order a new set and cut this one off, but that's ok as I'm lifting it a few more inches.

I run mine at 1" air gap and have no issues.

I already have some daystar extended bumps for the front, Got a pair of the 2 ring prothanes on ebay for 20$ shipped. Should give me the little extra I need.

Will most likely get a correct-size set for my MJ.

Just make sure to make some kind of landing pad/anti-spear plate to prevent them from getting impaled on the stock bump stop tower. I was in a rush last month and didn't build a set of landing pad before a race and one side is now stuck. So I get to order a new set and cut this one off, but that's ok as I'm lifting it a few more inches.

I run mine at 1" air gap and have no issues.

I only have a 4" lift so i only gave it a 1/2" of air gap and surprizingly enough i still think i bottom out my suspension a little bit, i jumped my jeep off a small jump to test it and it did pretty well

First jump, a lil off camber launch/landing
2C0D1B48-B1BA-4211-99AA-FC306E0888C2-413-0000001BF972DF55_zps4a8ecb30.jpg

D7BB6DB3-C660-4E9E-89F7-15801E659289-413-0000001BFFC056EC_zps2eeac2bd.jpg

Flex test
19DAF3FA-1438-435D-9676-F65641023EDC-413-0000001C1AD4E692_zps2dca051e.jpg

8382B915-4185-4B05-BAF9-0AFA4D2A90D4-413-0000001C22B55FE8_zpsa55bb35d.jpg

Yeah... I understand what you mean by the upper piece impales the prothane lol luckly i was able to pry it loose with screwdrivers and i bolted in some plates to keep this from happening again, i also installed some pipe on bottom to keep it centered instead of what you see in this pic
9B320C8E-E7C0-4D0D-8813-0C174B3BF79A-413-0000001C12B8A29A_zps2e90da99.jpg

So far im very impressed by them! They handle the whoops great!!

I installed mine last week and tested them through the Dusy Ershim trail the last couple days.

98 xj with RC long arms, probably 4 inch lift. I had 11 inches between the weld on the bump stop cup, and the spring pad. Once I cut off the bumpstop cup and welded on a 2.75" round plate up there, it left me with less than 10.5 inches.

I used the 10 inch prothane inserts, and left them full length, so on flat ground I have around half an inch, maybe a little less airgap.

Last year with the same setup minus the prothanes, the front tires rubbed. The prothanes solved that completely.

I also like to travel quickly on the trail, and the front end never bottomed out. Very progressive, not harsh at all. Didn't feel them doing their job at all.

Now, going over speed bumps is another story. I do feel them then, but not bad.

Overall, they are great, and I like the minimal airgap. If they were slightly stiffer, I might run a larger airgap, though.

Of course amazon would have it. Thanks

Amazon is usually best by a few dollars, and Jegs.com is good with free shipping on everything.
I have for sale two sets of 2 ring Prothanes. New in box $20 shipped.

Matched the front inserts with progressive rate bumpstops for the rear. To get the height right I welded a spring perch on the axle tube as a contact point and makes it adjustable.

Last edited:
I just might. I need to test the lateral metal tearing force stress amonut on the rear trac bar mount anyways.

I'm going with 3" steel discs bolted to & thru the push-in bump stops (factory style) with carriage bolts round side down, just another way to do it.

Back